Chapter 2 - Here comes the thunder

(Her - Hope) 7 years ago...

I know I'm running out of time. Soon they will discover what I did... And they will know it's me. If not by the cameras that had filmed me then by my smell that I didn't try to hide. You may ask why? Well because I did what was right and I shouldn't be ashamed of what I did.

"Hope! I know you're here!" I heard my father scream.

Here comes the Thunder. Brace yourself, Hope! You did what you had to do.

"Dad." I reply, trying to calm my breath and my wild beating heart.

"Why?" He asks me desperately.

"Do you really have to ask! Why did you never do it?!"

"How do you know? Nevermind we don't have much time left. That would have broken your mother's heart and I love her too much for that." He replies.

"So going everyday in that office and seeing him was normal! How could you without being sick! I mean one look and I felt it in my bones! How could you not give him the respect he deserved!"

"For respect for our pack! This is our pack, they are coming first and it has to be the same for you. You're Ryder's mate, for god sake!"

"Well, I don't see that happening any time soon." I mutter.

"Give it back and I will be able to save your place here." He begs.

"Never! I'm done hiding!" I reply with vehemence.

"Do you want to die?! All I did, it's for you to survive!"

"And I want to live, not just survive! I want to feel free and not scared. I want to be proud of what I'm!"

Suddenly, we're hearing wolves running in our direction.

"Fuck! We don't have time anymore. There is a hotel 20km from the south border. Booked a room there and I will meet you there as soon as I can." He says.

"Go now!" He orders me.

"No! I'm done hiding!" I reply firmly.

"Please, Hope!" He begs.

The first wolf to shift is my mother who runs towards me to slap me. Damn that's painful. my cheek is burning!

"How could you? How could you steal the pack's emblem!" She asks, furious. I've never seen her so upset.

"Give it back now Hope and your punishment will not be so hard." Alpha Brett says.

Luna Claire, Ryder, Ethan, Sam and a few warriors are here too. They all shift in their human forms.

"Sorry Alpha but that is impossible." I say with no remorse.

"Why?" Mom asks, trying to understand.

"Because as all living being he deserved to be buried properly, not to keep like a stupid trophy over stupid beliefs."

"In this case, Hope, I banished you from this land. As you've never shifted and you're my best friend's daughter I will give you 2 hours to leave my land. After that, if you can come back the warriors will kill you."

"But she's only 16th!" Dad protests.

"In 3 months she will be 17th and she is old enough to know stealing the pack's trophy is a crime." Alpha Brett says.

He's right. I did it fully aware of the consequences. I nod looking at my feet. Yeah, I knew what I was risking. When I finally raise my head, I can see everyone is looking at Ryder, expecting his reaction. He is looking at me with such intensity that I paralyze.

" I, Ryder Sawyer Raven, reject Hope Santiago, as my mate and my future Luna." He says coldly.

Ouch! Even if I was expecting that, it's still painful. And let's be honest for a minute I was hoping he would not do it. No matter what.

"Noted. I should go. I need to pack my stuff." I say before running towards my house. Well soon ex home.

******************
I'm packing my underwear when Ethan comes into my room without knocking. I can see on his face how disappointed he is too.

"I could ask you why but I know I will not understand why you did it. And I learnt a long time ago that you're different and trying to understand you is impossible." He tells me.

I just keep packing my clothes and let me tell you it's not an easy task when you're limited in time and space. I will need to travel light.

"Was it worth it?" He asks me when he realized that I would not start a discussion with him.

"Doing the right thing should always be worth it whatever the price." I reply.

"I was expecting that kind of answer." He scoffs.

"Do you have anything else to say? Because I'm kind of in a hurry."

"Nan. I just came to give you a goodbye gift." He says throwing a small box in my bed.

I gasp when I open it and look at him in surprise. I put it in my bag and jump in his arms to hug him.

"Thank you!" I whisper crying.

"Don't! When mom realizes they are missing I will accuse you." He says, trying to make me laugh and it worked.

"Good, I have only one piece that I was not able to recover but Alpha Matthew never leaves it. Thank you! It means so much!" I tell him.

He looks at me on the verge to cry then kisses my hair: " Be careful baby sister. I love you!"

"I love you too big bro!" I say before hugging him.
***************************

Mom is waiting for me in the living room.

"I don't know what I did wrong with you. I fight for you, even against you to keep you on the right path... Still nothing worked. Maybe I was too greedy to ask for another child when it should have been impossible. I love you Hope, with all my heart but what you did is unforgivable. Your grandpa is heartbroken. How could you do that to him, to us?" She says, shaking her head.

"I'm sorry mama to not be the daughter you wanted." I tell her.

"You were if only you didn't shut me out all your life. I don't know what we did wrong but I really hope you will find what makes you happy. Obviously you were never happy here." She adds softly and hugs me.

"I should go, I need to leave the pack's land now." I tell her.

"Your father will drive you. I love you Hope but I can't forgive you." She says before leaving me alone.

"I love you too mama." I says back knowing she can hear me.

I wish I could've trusted you...