The Drive

Danny scooted closer next to me on the pavement and tightened his arm around my shoulders.

"Is there anything I could do for you? Anything at all?" He asked.

"Could you maybe drop me off at Kim's apartment? I really don't wanna stay here right now." I replied.

"Of course, sweetheart. Anything."

One by one, the police slowly left my house as there was no evidence found. I invited Danny in and sat him on my couch. As I packed my bags, the man asked many questions about my encounter with the Ghost Face. He scribbled down notes with great detail on his little notepad.

"I'll be right back. I'm just gonna get changed, okay?" I asked Danny.

"No worries. Take your time." The journalist smiled up at me from the couch.

Danny insisted on carrying my luggage to his car and even held my front door open for me.

"Thanks so much, Mr Johnson. You've been nothing but nice to me." Danny placed my luggage in the back then opened the passenger door for me.

"There is no need to worry. You're a sweetheart, dear. You deserve it." The man smiled at me again.

My body deflated as a sigh left me. I looked out the window at the nightlife around us. There were a lot of police cars out around houses and apartments.

'There's been bodies all over town tonight.'

I could feel the colour drain from my face and spill onto the floor of the car.

"Oh, god. Do you think they're...?"

"Yes, they were all murdered."

We passed another house that was infested with police. A noticeable red splatter dripped from the front window of the house.

"Please pull over."

Danny didn't hesitate to swipe the car to the side of the road and slam on the brakes. I ripped open the car door and immediately emptied my stomach onto somebody's front yard. I heard Danny shove his door shut and call my name.

"Are you okay?!" He sped over and put a hand on my hunched back.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just—go away, please. I really don't want you to see me barf."

"I—okay..." Danny replied concerned. The journalist went back to sit in his car and wait for me to get back in myself.

All I could think about was my encounter with the Ghost Face. How he held me tight—ripped my knife from my grasp... why he didn't kill me. I remembered the blind fear I felt, the thrashing and screaming. The dark thoughts that plagued my fragile mind.

I'm gonna be the next Ashley Stanley.

Mr Johnson's gonna interview my coworkers about my murder.

I retched and spilled more of my guts onto the lawn. I tried not to look at the murder scene of a house down the road. The flashing red and blue lights of the police cars were in the corner of my eye as I stared down at the grass, my knees shaking. I tried not to think about the blood, spattered all over the front window.

Must've been a godawful death.

I threw up one last time, the vomit plummeting from my mouth to the lawn with a weighty slap.

"Fuck." I groaned.

Danny looked at me worriedly as I entered the car.

"Oh, my god. I'm so sorry about that. I guess my anxiety got the better of me. There's just so much going on." I clutched my head painfully with a blush dusted across my cheeks.

"Hey, don't apologise. It's not your fault. I completely understand." Johnson placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" He asked again.

"Yeah, thank you. I'm fine."

Kim ripped open her front door and immediately engulfed me in a hug.

"Oh, my god! What took you so long? I was so worried about you!" The woman exclaimed as she hugged me tighter.

I hugged Kim back with the same amount of love, my arms wrapped around the curly red hair that fell down to her back.

"I threw up on the way."

"Jesus Christ." Kim sighed and said my name in an almost scold.

Kim let me into her apartment then Danny too begrudgingly, and took my luggage off of him. Kim's girlfriend, Rhonda, sped out of their bedroom to greet us.

"Oh, my god! Thank god you're okay!" Rhonda held out her arms and I came running into them.

I cried a little as my friend held me close, her black dreadlocks chafed against my cheek and made it itchy.

"Stay here as long as you need."

Kim and Rhonda had taken my luggage and set their couch up nice for me to sleep on. I stood by the front door in the dark with Danny before me.

"Thanks for all this." I said.

"It's no problem, honey. I'm just glad you're safe." Danny smirked.

"You're very sweet. I just wonder why he didn't kill me." I pondered in the dark.

"I don't know, dear. Maybe he's gotten an obsession with you. I'll look into it for you."

"Thank you... shouldn't you of been taking photos and what not of all those murder scenes we passed getting here?" I asked.

"I'm more concerned about your safety than some stupid images." Danny argued.

I slowly moved and wrapped my arms around him in a sweet embrace.

"I owe you one." I said against the man's chest.

"Well, you're still gonna help me catch this guy, right?" I could hear the smile in Danny's tone as his arms wrapped around my waist.

"Yeah, I'll sure as hell try." I replied.

My mind drifted back to the nightmare I had that night. The killer chasing me, the others I was with that were murdered by him. The blade, twisting into my back—the bloody meat hooks. I could've sworn that there was some kind of creature there too. Something that the killer was depending on—a master.

An entity.

Another pang of déjà vu struck me as Danny and I kept our arms around each other. Why did the nightmare feel so strange? It felt like it had happened before but that was impossible. Me and Danny's embrace also felt familiar. 

Why did it all feel so familiar?