The Proposal

The Entity's realm, years ago

I sat alone in the Ghost Face's corner of the realm. I reclined into the couch I was lying on and flicked through channels on his tiny tv. Danny would be back any moment now. He had been in a lot of trials lately and I was worried he was getting overworked. While he was out there killing for the Entity, I remained cooped up here. Safe, just like he always wanted.

"Hey, darling. I'm home."

My head lifted up to peer over the back of the couch. The Ghost Face had thrown his hood down and yanked the ghostly mask off his face. I swung my legs over the couch and set my bare feet on the floor. I walked around the couch and greeted my boyfriend with a smile. Danny beamed right back at me and threw his arms around my waist.

"Hey, beautiful." He greeted again.

"Hey, sweetie!" I yipped gleefully.

Danny's smile widened and he attacked me in kisses all over my face and neck. I giggled and snaked my arms around his own neck.

"Danny!" I cooed.

"What? I missed you!"

Two years we spent together. Two years since the Entity dragged me out of my life and set me down in its own. Two years since the Ghost Face came across me in that fateful trial—one of my very first ones ever. I didn't know what broke behind his dark eyes that night. What about me made him fall head over heels. But he did, and here we were. Two years later, and neither of us even seemed to physically age. That was something really strange about the Entity's realm. Danny had been here since the nineties, and still looked like a man in his mid thirties.

The Entity could be generous to us sometimes. Well, it was already pretty generous letting Danny take me away from trials for himself. But sometimes if the Ghost Face had been extra brutal in trials and I myself was behaving, it gave us a gift. And that gift was that sometimes, just sometimes, we got to go off into the real world. Planet earth in the present day. My loved ones knew that I was still alive. Of course I didn't tell them exactly where I was residing. I gave them all white lies and my own little story.

"Oh, yes. I live in a town called Roseville in Florida. I've got a house with my boyfriend, Danny. He makes pretty good money as a journalist so I'm currently unemployed."

That's what I'd say—nothing more, nothing less.

But that didn't matter right now. All that mattered was Danny, kneeling before me.

We were at my hometown, walking along the shore of the lake. We just had dinner at the restaurant that resided next to the water. The stars were out now, twinkling brightly. I was in awe at the white lights in the sky as the Entity's realm rarely had them. A rather large starry light in the night sky roused my attention. I rose my arm and pointed forward to it.

"See that, Danny? That's Venus!" I said to my boyfriend.

Venus and the stars around it reflected on the lake's water. Small waves wafted gently towards us on the shore. Danny didn't reply but I paid no mind and instead stared off into the peaceful ambiance. A kind of ambiance that you weren't used to in the Entity's realm. But it was fine now, it was just Danny and I.

Danny said my name.

I was broken out of my trance and snapped back to reality. I turned my head to look at the man. The whole world around me basically stopped as he knelt down on one knee.

"Whoa," I gasped. Danny pulled out a small box from his pocket. "Oh, my god." My hands flung to my mouth and I could feel myself begin to tear up. He said my name again. "Oh, my god." I repeated.

"I never thought I'd ever commit to anyone. Every single day when I get home and see you sitting in my room, I just can't believe how much I love you. I am so madly in love with you and want to be with you for the rest of my life." Danny smiled nervously.

Tears began to trickle down my cheeks. "Danny..." I sobbed in joy.

The diamond ring twinkled in the night like the many stars above. He then said my name a final time.

"Will you marry me?"

Now

The flashback flickered over my eyes and was gone just like that when I blinked.

It's just trying to mess with you.

The Entity screeched above me and spidery legs launched down at me. I screamed in anger and grabbed one that was about to puncture me, snapping it clean off the creature with my bare hands. The Entity wailed in pain with a hiss, retracting away from me.

"I don't want to do this." I exclaimed, fearsome of my newfound strength. "I just want you to give her back."

The monster grew quiet as it rumbled like an engine.

No, you have lost.

I grew angry again.

"I said give her back!"

The sound of Danny's voice in the distance made me more and more out of it. My eyes drooped and the Entity stopped fighting. It slinked back away into the blanket of darkness until I was left all alone.

"Danny?" I called out weakly.

He called my name right back.

The memories began to fade again. The realm, the killers, my relationship with Danny... my relationship with Angel. My eyes rolled back as I plummeted into the soft, cloudy darkness all around me. Every vision or flashback I ever had while in the Entity's sick game was always cut short and I would never remember them. All I remembered was that I had them. Like a dream that you forget shortly after having it. I was scared something was wrong with me but I kept going. Kept following the Ghost Face with Danny by my side.

The black fog was gone now and I found myself in the warehouse again. The Entity was gone too and so was Derek Grey. I turned cautiously to be met with Danny and Angel's worried faces. I stared into Angel's dark brown eyes. Something was overwhelmingly familiar about her. A deep blue bruise was forming on her left cheek where a mercenary had punched her. She was bleeding too. Her nose was dripping like a faucet, staining her dusty pink tank top. The scarlet blood trickled down onto it in a thin line down her face.

Line of blood—blood in a line.

Bloodline.

"Angel?" My eyes widened and I stepped back from the girl.

For a flicker of a second, I remembered why I was screaming at the Entity. Why I was asking for her back.

Bloodline. It whispered in my ear.

I closed my eyes and hit the ground with a thud.