The Threat

I laid there naked in Danny's bed facing him. The man gave me a tired smile and leaned over to plant a kiss on my lips. His fingers tangled into my hair as I deepened the kiss. We pulled away from each other slowly before I took his hand in my own. I glanced down at his bruised knuckles and stroked a thumb over them.

"How'd this happen?" I asked quietly.

I continued to gently pet Danny's knuckles while he opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out.

"I hit it on the door at work." He finally answered.

"Oh, is it okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's fine, sweetheart. Don't worry about me." Said Danny. He leaned back over and kissed my forehead. "I'll drive you to work." He said, ripping the covers off his body and moving to his closet.

"Thanks, honey." I uttered, me too getting up to pick out some clothes from my overnight bag. After throwing on a shirt, I glanced over at Danny who was fumbling to put on his belt clumsily. "You okay?" I uttered.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Everything's fine, baby. No need to worry." He looked up quickly to answer me then went back to buckling the belt buckle.

"Okay, you just seem a little tense." I hiked my own pants up.

"It's just work stuff." Said Danny while cradling his bruised knuckles.

"Is it about the Ghost Face? Or that new group of mercs? A lot of drama has hit the town, huh?" I said.

"Yeah, the mercs..." he trailed.

After getting dressed, I sat back down on his messy bed. "You know, I've got a little bit of info on the Ghost Face..." I said.

"Thanks, honey. But can it maybe wait? I'm just a bit busy with the mercs, okay? I'll write more on the Ghost Face later." Replied Danny. He buttoned his shirt then came over to give me a gentle kiss. "I'm sorry, sweetie. I'm just a bit swamped." He stroked my cheek.

"Hey, it's okay. I understand, it can wait." I smiled nervously up at him.

I hummed a soft tune as I gathered up some files from Kim's desk to give to our boss.

"Alright..." I murmured to myself and scooped the files up in my arms.

"Thanks, just go dump them on the boss' desk. They should be in there anyway." Said Kim.

"No worries. Be right back." I chimed merrily.

I trotted over to the boss' office with a hand full of files. I smiled dumbly to myself when I thought about the big stack of files I was carrying over in the parking lot a few weeks ago. How I met Danny for the first time and he helped me with that charismatic smile of his.

I approached the boss' door and wrapped my hand around the doorknob to turn it open.

"Excuse me. I've got—oh! Hello." I began.

I was expecting to be met with the face of my boss at their desk but instead saw the smiling face of Danny's coworker Derek Grey.

"Good morning! How are you today?" Derek grinned at me.

"Good, thanks. How are you?" I replied with my own confused smile. I gently set the stack of files on my boss' desk and turned to look at Derek. "Do you know where my boss is?" I asked.

"They're in a meeting. They will be back. I was just in here looking over Ashley Stanley's work files." Explained Derek.

"Oh...?"

Derek flipped through a few of Ashley's files, I could spot a few photographs of the murder scene laying casually on the desk before us. Derek slapped the file on the desk with them and turned back to me almost gleefully.