The Morning

Roseville Hospital, Florida, years ago

I watched Danny's dark eyes light up with adoration at the newborn in his arms. The baby girl slept peacefully as he cradled her gently.

"I love her." Danny uttered.

I smiled tiredly and sat down next to him on the hospital bed.

"What're we gonna name her?" I asked, leaning my head against Danny's shoulder.

Our smiles couldn't of been wider as we stared down at the black haired baby girl.

"Angel." Danny declared.

Now

I stumbled back from the mighty entity before me. Glowing orange nectar trickled down my arm and dripped to the ground thickly.

Angel. The Entity croaked out teasingly in my head.

"No... Angel... my baby..." I whimpered.

This is how you fell.

With that, the ground crumbled under me. I couldn't scream or move. I fell down, down. All I could do was look up helplessly at the top of the pit I was plummeting down into. The nectar glowed bright on my hand, and a distinctive pain began to form on my back.

"Angel." I called out pitifully.

I fell further and further but the ground never came. The pain grew in my back. It felt as if sharp horns or something trying to push out of my skin.

"Angel..." I croaked out a final time before my eyes drooped shut.

This is how you fell.

My memory faded away as I did too into the abyss.

My eyes tore open and I breathed hard. I lifted my head off of what I was leaning on and sat up straight.

I had woken up in a car, again.

I whipped my head to the side to see what I was leaning my head on, or whom. Danny's dark brown eyes looked at me, laced with concern.

"Sweetie, are you alright?" He asked.

The unmasked Ghost Face gripped my shoulders with his gloved hands. I breathed harder and harder.

"Sweetie, look at me. It's alright. It was just a nightmare. You're safe, okay? You're safe." Danny urged me gently.

My breathing slowed down as I relaxed under his grasp. I didn't remember the nightmare but it still had a lasting effect on me.

"Danny." I breathed.

I leaned in to hug him. The Ghost Face was quick to wrap his arms around me and pull me into a tender embrace. He uttered his name warmly against my ear.

"It's over. We're taking you home." He said.

'We're'?

I rested my head on Danny's chest and glanced at the driver. It was Angel.

This is how you fell.

I blinked a view times to clear away the fog clouding over them. Angel didn't say anything but instead looked at me through the rearview mirror and winked. I smiled weakly at the younger girl.

We were still driving down that old country road. The yellow sports car drove along the long straight road and into the night. We left it all behind. Danny's old car that had been cleanly cut in half followed by Derek's black van. And then of course Derek. His mutilated body was left there on the side of the road for the vultures or terrified passing cars. My eyes began to flutter shut again as I got comfortable against Danny.

"You can sleep, love. It's okay." He said.

I didn't reply as I closed my eyes and let myself drift off into a dreamless sleep.

One week later

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Ugh..." I groaned out tiredly.

My eyes cracked open, the morning sun peering down at me through the blinds. I stretched out an arm towards my nightstand weakly. My phone buzzed violently against the wood as it blared out my alarm. My hand smacked the screen of the smartphone for it to halt to a stop.

"Finally..." I muttered as the beeping paused.

A sigh escaped me as I sat up in my bed. I rubbed my eyes groggily before peering around my bedroom. With a big stretch, I lifted the blanket off my legs and I swung them off the bed. I got to my feet and cracked my back with a grunt. I then grimaced, touching my upper back where it still ached from before. When I came to think of it, my back hurt ever since I woke up from that weird nightmare I couldn't even remember. With a shrug, I trudged out of the room and into the kitchen for breakfast.

The golden glow of the early morning shimmered down on me as I sat at the table with my breakfast. I basked in the warm glow of it as dust flickered about in the light. After my last spoonful of brekky, I shot up from my chair to get dressed for work. Gaining some more energy, I walked back to my bedroom with a small bounce in my step.

I shrugged off my pyjamas and scavenged through my closet for today's outfit. I lifted my arm up and rolled on some deodorant, pondering that night from last week. Derek's dead face flashed through my brain for a split second then was gone again. A chill shot up my spine, so I threw on my shirt. After I got dressed, I trotted off to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I stared at my reflection in the mirror dumbly as I scrubbed my teeth. My mouth foamed up with white bubbles the more I moved my toothbrush side to side.

As I spat the bubbly foam into the sink, there was a knock at the door. I perked up at the sound and turned the faucet off. I set my toothbrush down on the sink and went to answer the door. I swung the front door open to reveal a certain redhead.

"Hey, dude!" Kim beamed.

A smile graced my features as well, revealing my freshly cleaned teeth.

"Hey, Kim!" I chirped back.

I opened the door up for her and let her into my home.

"Ready to go?" She asked as she looked about my house with her hands behind her back.

"Yeah! Just let me grab my things. Oh! I better call Danny too." I answered.

Kim rolled her green eyes. "Can't you just text him? He'll be fine." She said.

I giggled and walked away from her to my room. Kim followed suit.

"I told you he doesn't have a smartphone. It's fine. I'll be real quick." I smirked.

I swiped my own smartphone off the nightstand and sat on my bed. Kim scoffed and folded her arms.

"Seriously, who doesn't have a smartphone by now? What is he from? The nineties?" She asked sarcastically.

I narrowed my eyes playfully at the woman before tapping on Danny's contact. The phone didn't ring for very long before I heard Danny's deep voice on the other line.

"Good morning, beautiful." I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Good morning, sweetie. Just wanted to tell you that I'm okay. Will you be at my work?" I asked.

Kim moved to sit next to me on my bed.

"Sure thing, my love. I'll be there." The Ghost Face answered.

After a quick back and forth phone call, I hung up and stood from my bed.

"Alright, ready to go?" I asked Kim this time.

She smacked her thighs before standing up herself.

"Yep! Let's get going."

The both of us made our way to the front door and into Kim's car. Kim started the conversation by talking about last week. Me being kidnapped, the Ghost Face, the car chase, Derek's death... but I wasn't exactly listening. I just merely staring out the window, thinking about how my life was slowly starting to become...

Normal.

The same pain in my back struck me again. I squirmed uncomfortably in the seat as I tried to ignore it.

Or so I thought...