𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 8

You're not sure how long it took for your brain to manage to process his words, and when it did, you wonder if you misheard.

How could the, albeit lovable, but ice-cold murderer have fallen in love with you in such a short time?

That you have also come to like him as more than an enemy, roommate, and even friend is a thought you push aside in order to continue to question Heisenberg's words.

But maybe, just maybe, there's a chance he means it?

If the three so meaningful words are really true and your feelings are thus reciprocated, it would be impossible for you to continue to suppress your own feelings for the mission.

How could you refuse when the person you long to be near feels the same?

Could he possibly mean it?

Warmth envelops you at the thought that he really likes you, it acts like wood makes a fire burn stronger, completely filling you.

Waking from your sort of traunce, you turn to look into his eyes, however his gaze is still fixed on his lap.

You hold his face and gently turn it towards you.  

The warm feeling that filled you a moment ago disappears instantly.

In its place, deep anger flows through your veins, making your heart pulsate and filling you with burning rage. 

You want to push him away and yell at him for lying to you and taking advantage of your feelings, but your anger quickly fades, replaced by pure disappointment.

However unlikely it seemed, you still had hopes.

Hope, that Karl Heisenberg wasn't the monster he was to you just a month ago, that all the time spent together, the shared laughter and the meals, the memories that were made, the confession just minutes ago, weren't just an elaborate plan.

In that moment, you wish you'd never watched him so closely, never learned that he couldn't look you in the eye when he told a lie.

Maybe then you could have accepted and had the best time of your life, at least for a while, until Heisenberg would have completed his plan and took advantage of your feelings for him, disposing of you afterwards.

Your suffering would then have been shorter, as you probably would have died at his hand shortly after the betrayal of your trust.

But now you have to live with the fact that nothing in the last weeks was real, but Heisenberg's plan to get you on his side and then leave or kill you.

Suddenly you have an idea that could turn the outcome of the situation to your good and give you the opportunity to be by Heisenberg's side for a while. 

„Does that mean you want us to be in a romantic relationship?"

His eyes briefly meet yours before he averts them again and looks down to his right, which he always does when he's thinking. 

You really know him too well for the short time you spent together.

„A relationship like that probably wouldn't fit into either of our plans in the current situation. When this is all over, I'd like to continue this conversation, if that's okay with you."

His suggestion confirms for you the dishonesty of his confession.

If his feelings were real, he certainly would not want to avoid a committed relationship.

He certainly just doesn't want to have to meet the demands in a romantic relationship with a person he doesn't even like.

„Agreed. Let's wait and see how our relationship develops first. I'm not averse to developing a deeper connection."

For a split second, you think you see the corners of his mouth twitch upward in delight before he squeeze's your hand on his cheek with his.

Then he stands up and hastily makes his way to the factory.

Officially, nothing has changed between you, but this is your chance to get closer to him, and to get the key, or rather the capsule.

The heavy feeling in your chest tells you that what you are doing is against your morals, but the angry part in your head reminds you that Heisenberg is doing the same.

Still, you can't get rid of the crushing feeling of heaviness throughout the day and as you shoot cans outside in the evening to stay in shape, you can practically feel Heisenberg's gentle gaze on you, making his previous lie seem impossible.

He's sitting on the hood of an old, rusted pickup truck, watching your exercises.

When your eyes meet in the red light of the evening sun and a light breeze makes his hair under his hat when, you see only sincerity in the depths of his eyes.

Only now you realize how much you long for the love of this man.

Chris would absolutely fire you.