CHAPTER 25

The Beginning of the End

"Dain Ironfoot."

Arya murmured, noting the army of the Iron Hills appearing on a height on the left flank of the Mountain.
The dwarfs cheered their relatives with joy, while the young woman, a few steps further back, watched the scene with her arms folded and a worried look on her face: a fight, at that point, was inevitable.

"Ironfoot! Ironfoot is here!"

Bofur exclaimed, starting another chorus of laughter and noise.

"Hey Thorin!"

Dain greeted his cousin, while he advanced alone, on the back of his goat, in the direction of Thranduil's army.

"Good morning! How are we all? I have a wee proposition, if you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time. Would you consider just sodding off?! All of you! Right now!"

The dwarf sarcastically suggested, stopping on a rock not far from the enemy lines.

"Stand fast!"

Bard ordered to his people.

"Come now, Lord Dain."

"Gandalf the Grey."

The wizard stepped forward and bowed his head as a sign of greeting.

"Tell this rabble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood."

"There is no need for war between Dwarves, Men and Elves. A legion of Orcs march on the Mountain. Stand your army down."

Gandalf tried to dissuade him, but as for pride and arrogance, Ironfoot was perfectly able to stand up to Thranduil: no one would be able to change his mind, not even the famous sorcerer.

"I will not stand down before any Elf. Not least this faithless woodland sprite. He wishes nothing but ill upon my people. If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then."

The Lord of the Woodland Realm expected nothing more, the more the dwarf spoke, the more an ironic grin spread on his lips.

"Dain! Wait!"

Gandalf called him again, as he watched him return quickly to the ranks of his army.
Observing the scene with enthusiasm from the top of the rampart, the dwarves indulged in another chorus of laughter and shouts of joy.

"Let them advance. See how far they get."

Thranduil asserted proudly, ignoring the shrieks coming from the Mountain.

"You think I give a give a dead dog for your threats, you pointy-eared princess?!"

Dain replied with irony.

"You hear that, lads? We're on! Let's give these bastards a good hammering!"

He then continued, turning to his soldiers.

"Stand your man down. I'll deal with Ironfoot and his rabble."

Thranduil ruled, turning to Bard, and then advanced in the front line with his troops.

"Send in the goats!"

Dain was heard yelling, as the elves prepared to shoot under the king's command.

"Thranduil, this is madness!"

Gandalf exclaimed, and was again ignored.

Numerous arrows left the bows of the Silvani, plummeting towards the dwarves, who rode fast towards them. None, however, hit its target: they were all shattered by the weapons of the adversaries. At Dain's order, in fact, the dwarves set off huge crossbows, from which they launched long arrows with rotating blades.