3| Distraction

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Distraction

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 3: Distraction (Persephone's POV)

I slurped on the empty cup of iced tea while Anastasia and I sat in my mess of a living room. "She could have given me a month to pack up at least. I've got stuff that's three year's worth and I need to pack it up and move in two damn weeks," I scoffed, staring at the ground we sat on. 

"You can stay with me till you find a new apartment, don't worry," she said, nudging my leg with hers. "No rent needed," she grinned. 

"Absolutely not. I'll pay half the rent if I stay, Annie." 

"Then you can pay half the rent, that's fine," she chuckled. "But tell me again why you don't just want to stay at your parents' house?" 

"I don't like that house. It gives me the creeps." 

"You lived there your whole life, Percy." 

"And it gave me the creeps my whole life too." 

She rolled her eyes. "You should just stay there. Your parents aren't there either so you won't have anybody nagging at you." 

"Should I?" I popped the lid off the cup and started crunching on the ice cubes, eating them. 

"It's not like you're alone. There's Ms. Linda, remember?" 

"She is the creeps," I stated. "How is she still alive? She was in her sixties when I was born." 

"Long life for the old lady, what can you say? Just stay there. She's the housekeeper, she'll take care of you. And we can use the pool," she suggested. She's right. It's a good house and anyway my stay there is only temporary. 

I could find an apartment quickly and then move back out of there before my parents even got back. Whenever that is. "She must be in her eighties, early nineties, yeah?" I narrowed my eyes. 

"Shut up," she laughed in response. She looked around at the mess and let out a sigh. "Let's go somewhere." 

"I can't, I have to pack, Annie." I stood up, throwing the empty plastic cup away. 

"You've packed your entire living room in one day, it's confined into boxes now. You plan to move out tomorrow or something? Exactly, no. Let's take a break, let's go somewhere, come on." She stood up too, throwing her empty cup away. 

"Like a cafe?" 

"No," she drawled. "Like a club." There it is. There are the mischievous eyes, the teasing smile. 

"No," I said quickly and firmly. "There's no way I'm getting drunk tonight." 

"You don't have to get drunk, do you? You can just enjoy, dance a little. Find a cute guy to flirt with a little and that's it. Forget about the horrible day you've had, that's all." She stared at me hopefully. "It's called a distraction, Persephone. Indulge in it because you need it."