13| Prepare

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Prepare

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 13: Prepare (Persephone's POV)

I walked over to the couch in his office and plopped down, kicking my slides off and lying down. I can't believe I toured the underworld in pajamas like this. I rested my head on the armrest and then closed my eyes, resting my hand on my stomach and thinking, really thinking. 

About what the hell I'm actually doing. I'm marrying a Greek God. Who I don't even like. But we're out here promising to love each other. And I know, I know I told Cronus that I could easily force myself to love someone if I had to, but I don't know if that's actually true. If I end up loving Hades, it has to be because I wanted to. Because I couldn't help myself. Because I really, genuinely— 

"Fell in love with me." 

I looked over, rolling my eyes. "You really don't know what the word 'privacy' means, do you, Hades?" 

"Not when it comes to you," he smirked, looking at me. "You should be glad I have this ability. You know, in a little while, when you're head over heels in love with me... Even before that, actually. You'll never have to tell me what it is that you want. I could just read your thoughts." He winked. 

"Yeah," I said slowly. "No, that's not going to make me fall in love with you. I want to see you trying to woo me and mean it. Not just reading my thoughts and doing whatever I wish for blindly." 

"No?" He stood up slowly and started walking over to me, rounding his desk. 

"Nope," I replied, still lying down. I faced the ceiling again and draped one arm over my eyes. "I want to see how far you're willing to go. Without your powers. I'm a human, remember? I like human habits," I chuckled softly. 

"Do you?" 

I pulled my arm down and turned to look at him, my breath getting caught in my throat when I realized he was kneeling beside the couch, his face only inches away from mine. 

"Does this count then?" he whispered softly. 

"Does what count?" I mumbled, staring at his eyes. Why the hell is my heart... pounding? 

"You're right," he nodded. "Your heart is pounding," he smirked. 

I rolled my eyes, letting out a groan, and then shoved him away but he grabbed my wrist, keeping my hand pressed firmly against his chest. 

"You can admit it, my love." 

"Admit what?" I turned my head to look at him again. 

"You can admit you like me." 

"As if," I laughed. "I don't like you, I don't even know you." 

"You don't have to know me to like me. You like me more than you want to, that's for sure." 

"Like isn't the right word," I said pointedly.