4| Stranger

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Stranger

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 4: Stranger (Hades' POV)

She'll fall to her death. My office is soundproof, we're up too high for someone to hear her on the street below us and she's over the railing. She can easily pull herself back up, but she's too drunk to do that. 

I'm not meant to interfere in the life and death of any mortals, but I have a feeling there's something different about her. And I say that because her eyes fucking glowed. I sighed and walked over, grabbing her arm and pulling her back over the railing right before her fingers unwrapped themselves from the railing and she fell. 

She's still screaming and I'm growing deafer and deafer by the second. It's annoying, really. 

I clamped my hand over her mouth, her tears hitting my skin. "Shh!" I hissed loudly. 

She stopped screaming and finally opened her eyes, her hands clutching onto my shirt tightly. Then she started crying again, closing her eyes tightly. 

I stood still as she threw her arms around me and held on tighter than before. I stared blankly ahead of me, waiting for her to shut the fuck up because wow is this annoying. 

She sniffled and then her crying died down. 

I thought that was it, we were done, but then she fell limp in my arms. I grabbed her waist quickly so she wouldn't fall and pulled back to look at her. 

She... passed out. Great. 

I rolled my eyes and put one arm under her legs, picking her up and carrying her to the couch. I lay her down and then closed and locked the balcony door. I walked back over to her, squatting down by the couch, staring at her face. 

She seems familiar but I don't know why. It's not just because I saw her earlier today. She looks... like somebody I'm supposed to know and I just don't. 

I cocked my head to one side, scrutinizing her face. Something about her is screaming at me and I have no idea what it is. But I can't stop staring at her. She has my undivided attention. She had it earlier in the traffic too but she walked away too soon and we were very rudely interrupted by some lunatic who kept honking at us. We still had five seconds left on the light, by the way. 

I could see the tear stains on her cheek. I scratched my eyebrow and watched her with a little more detail, trying to see what about her felt so familiar but... nothing. She's just a stranger.

I brushed her hair away from her face and then stood up, walking back to my chair and sitting down, dialing Adonis. 

"Hello," he sang as soon as he answered. 

"Where are you?" I questioned. 

"I'm working, why?" 

"Bullshit," I scoffed. 

"I'm pretending to work, why?"