CHAPTER 44

n. Hi! Long time no see! Just wanted to let you guys know that the rest of the story, including its ending, is on Patreon (click the link in my bio). This book is 60 Chapters long! 

This is the last FULL chapter available on Wattpad. 

I suppose that fear should be my initial feeling. It seemed that would be a logical reaction considering I knew what Katherine was capable of doing. I didn't know what I was feeling, however. Katherine stood there with little knowledge about who I was for the first time in a long, long time Katherine knew nothing of me. She knew absolutely nothing that could harm Harry and I in any way.

But on the bright side, I didn't have anything to fear because I have the advantage here. She would no longer have that knowledge over us, at least not right at this time. So, I have the upper hand and with this I was sure that there was no way that Katherine could harm me – if she couldn't see me coming.

I look at Harry, and I manage a very faint smile. The resistance of my true nature was impressive because it had suppressed itself so well that even I could not tell how I would react in the future. Here in this dream there was no future because I already lived it. I already knew the kind of person that Katherine was and I knew what she was capable of. Nothing that she could do now would or should make me fear her anymore. And that was the end of it and the end of my conversation with Harry for that moment.

Managing a faint smile, knowing that I had to refrain from letting my fury distort the permanently forced, cheerful expression of my face, I bite down onto my lip and gaze at Harry with an intent to dismiss myself. But before I could even open my mouth to articulate that desire, a figure approaches from behind me, passing me and immediately taking Harry's side. The man is much older, sporting a short-sleeve button-up and a pair of sleek pants. His arm comes around the back of Harry's shoulders. Wide-eyed, I glance between the two, seeing their entertained faces exchange a look of loving humor.

Harry falsifies a look of exhaustion and annoyance, glowering at his dad briefly before some joke passes his father's lips. It should have been audible, but I couldn't hear past the sound of my pulse in my ears. My stomach turns horribly while I try to remain still, and avoid shuddering from the uncomfortable chill that traveled up my spine. I can't hear a word, the images before me twisting and turning into a distorted view. Anxiously, my hand grips the bottom of my skirt, fisting the fabric in my hand, flushed white. My sweet smile wavers slightly. The man standing with us now was Harry's father.

"Dad, this is Tara. She's a student at Brown," Harry introduces us suddenly. I was torn between eyeing down Katherine or making eye contact with a man that I know will be dying next week. I choose the latter, and I feel it in my stomach, the sickness, the rising urge to regurgitate. The man had the same boyishly handsome features, his greying hair brushed back from his face. He appeared tall, having a much bigger physique than Harry's leaner one. "Tara, this is my dad," he finishes.

"Hello, Tara, it's very nice to meet you," he easefully greets, his arm removed from the back of Harry's shoulders as he reaches out his hand to offer it.

Swallowing harshly, I manage to breathe out, "Hello...Senator Styles. It's a pleasure to meet you."

With a wide, charming smile, he nods his head."The pleasure's all mine. What are you studying at Brown?" He asks with interest.

"Um, I'm an English major with a minor in linguistics," I reply steadily, lips forming a tight smile. While Harry and his father communicate with each other, and obviously with me, I was distracted by Katherine's movements. From the corner of my eyes, I witness the few steps she takes down the porch steps. A white, flowing dress fell at her ankles. The almost red-brown hair was tied up into a low updo, and she pulls off the sweet smile even with those cobra eyes. Glaringly, I narrow my eyes, following the way she approaches the blonde of the hour; Deborah.