Chapter 16.*

n. chapters with mature content will be starred. thanks for reading! p.s, a lot of detail in this chapter. I'm on a roll, ya'll.

I hold the orchids that were supposed to go to my mother on my lap, staring at the bright screen if my phone, almost stinging my eyes in the natural darkness. Quickly responding to a text Charlie sent about having his baby sister throw up on him, I look over at Harry. He drives quietly, staring at the road. He leans back, face stolid and unbothered. Big hand wrapped around the steering wheel while his other arm is lazily resting over the closed compartment between us.

In my notifications, there's one from the Facebook I barely use anymore. I click on it and it leads to a picture of tonight's party. I see Tía Clara had posted a full album of pictures, which is no surprise, she loves sharing pictures on social media with our family. One picture I was tagged in was of Harry and I sitting. I have my body leaned into him and he's laughing at what I assume was the commotion on the dance floor. My smile is soft and I instantly fall in love with the picture.

We come to a red light and the car stops. "Harry, look at this," I get his attention, raising my phone for him to see the picture. He turns and looks down at it, the light from the phone spreading over his face and reflecting in his pale green eyes. A smile curves into his lips. I quickly go to save the picture, hating how cheesy I'm being, but I just can't help it.

The light turns green and the car accelerates again. Harry's quiet as he runs a hand over his face and through his hair, husky voice asking, "You wanna stay with me tonight?" His voice is raspy and he seems almost tired, rubbing his chin as he glares at the street.

"Yeah. I just need to grab some stuff at my house. And leave the flowers there," I respond, locking my phone and leaning back onto the seat. "You tired?" I ask him quietly, turning my head to look in his direction.

"A bit. I've got to show you something, though," he says, and I don't bother asking what because I know if he didn't elaborate at first, he won't later on. I look away and onto the quiet roads. The streetlights, and Harry's headlights are the only source of illumination. It almost makes me want to sleep, but I know I won't.

I ask Harry to wait for me down here. I grab my keys and quickly open the front door. When I enter my apartment, I see my mom sprawled in her pajamas on the couch. She's got her hair fanned around her head, mouth open as she snores lightly. I place the orchids down on the table. As quietly and quickly as I can, I leave a note mentioning where I will be and who the flowers are from. I leave her a glass of water and some Ibuprofen.

In my bedroom, I kick off my heels and grab some fluffy socks and sandals. Then I grab a pair of grey pajama pants and a baby blue t-shirt. I get all my essentials and put them in my bag before heading out. Without even thinking it, I tossed the "morning after" pill in there.

Outside, Harry's texting on his phone. I open the car door and he looks over at me, finishing up his text and putting his phone into his pocket again. Harry glances at my mismatched socks and fluffy slippers. He shakes his head, smiling to himself before I scoff and tell him, "I was rushing."

He drives a bit longer than usual, and when we pass his street, I get a little confused. I raise my eyebrows when we stop in front of large building, much closer to downtown. It's a very quiet neighborhood with tall, glassed apartment and cleaned streets. Trees are symmetrical on either side of the street, well paved sidewalks and mowed grass.

Harry turns and drives up a driveway that leads to a parking lot. I look over at him and he parks the car closest to a tree. He turns the engine off and says, "I bought a loft with the money my dad left me. It's a lot, so the first thing I thought about is getting my own place."