Chapter 21.

I grabbed a breakfast burrito on my way to class, one half of it being digested and the other half hanging from my mouth as I drop my keys and phone into my bag, zipping it closed.

My walk is slow and lethargic. I won't be late this time, considering I woke up earlier than I needed to. The reason is beyond me, but my alarm was going to go off ten minutes later anyway; those ten godly minutes were burnt off my piece of heaven.

My mom took the car today so the twenty minute walk there is a crucial part of my day. By the time I reach the school, it's spilling and spitting out people left to right from the staff to the students.

I sigh to myself, eating my burrito in peace because everyone avoids me anyway, so the social factor of my life at this point is diminished and nonexistent. Charlie fulfills that area as my friend and only friend with the exceptions of Martha whenever she feels like seeing me.

It's not to say that people avoid me, they don't. I just happen to make it known to them that a conversation with me won't go very far concerning my idea about school. Came here to learn and succeed, not to make friends. Of course, I have such a boring personality at times with what my mindset is like, yet I prefer to admit I was forced to mature a lot quicker than my fellow peers.

"Tara."

My chewing stops, the burrito at my lips. I turn around to see Keth standing there, long face nervous and black eyes watching me attentively. Mine narrow down to his stare, face hardening with a frown and a plastered look of conflict. I look towards the garbage bin near us, and I tossed my breakfast burrito in it.

I sigh, trying my hardest not to make it obvious that he makes me want to run for the hills. Just the connotation of his presence makes it difficult to keep up a conversation with him. I blink and stare, frozen for a second as he approaches me.

His knuckles are flushed white as he grips one strap of his bag like it was crucial to his life. I dread the second his hopeful eyes meet mine, making me regret even stopping for him. "I need to talk to you.." he says softly, and I glance down at my unfinished breakfast burrito. "About us."

My eyes flicker back up to him and, stunned, I quickly sputter out, "Us?"

"I mean--- not like that, obviously. B-but...I feel like we should be friends. It's been awkward and all, and I know that Harry doesn't really like me, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends? Right?" He suggests, and his voice is filled with the hope I know I'll most likely crush.

I'm silent and unsure of what he's asking. Friends as in we forget everything and come to an agreement on a mutual acquaintance or friends who make plans and go through with them. My eyes follow our surroundings as I try and search my brain for words that will work in this situation. But the situation in it itself is a matter of trust Harry and I have. Particularly the fact that I promised I'd stay away and trust his precautions. Not the exact opposite.

What also strikes me as strange as how much Keth cares enough to approach me for the third time or so, and propose that we become close to one another. The apprehension is present for sure, and I don't know what to say at all in response to his suggestion other than no and no.

"Uh..." I mutter, starting to feel uncomfortable under his extremely attentive gaze. "I'm going to be late to class if I don't get going --" I try my hardest to change the subject, and just as I'm turning around, his hand snaps outward, reaching for my wrist. His fingers enclose around it, stiffening my movement.