16

Cindy

December 7, 2018

I jump over a three feet tall fence in the backyard and, folded in half, run across it to get to Jungkook's window. Leaning against the wall to make sure I stay unnoticed, I tap the glass with my fingers. It takes him five seconds to stick his head out.

"How much time do you need?" I ask.

"I don't know. An hour?"

"You have an hour and a half max. Better don't make me spend more time with your parents alone, okay?" I point at his chest, and he nods with a smile. Jungkook jumps out the window, pulls his bag behind him, and pecks my cheek before he flees in silence.

I snort and shake my head. How much more adorable can he get?

Circling his house, I get to the front door, like I didn't just made a skilled-burglar kind of jump over his fence. Not like I never jumped a fence before in my life.

I still find it ridiculous his mom grounded him. Maybe because I've never been grounded, or because it's actually weird to be an eighteen years old guy and get grounded. But I promised I would help, so I need to push through. Even if that means making sure his parents do not find out the truth.

I take a deep breath, knowing I will never be ready for this torturous evening, put a smile on my face and knock. What are friends for, huh?

"Good evening, Mrs. Jeon." I say when the light pours out of the house. She arches her eyebrows, and a smile stays on her face.

"Hello, dear. I'm sorry, but Jungkook can't go out." She gives me an apologetic frown.

"Oh, it's fine. I actually came to you."

"To me? What's the matter then?"

"So... I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I really love cooking. I'm pretty good at it, but I've been meaning to learn how to make Korean food for a long time and now that I know you're basically a master at it, I was wondering if you could show me some basics," I say, gesticulating to make it seem like I'm more excited than I actually am. She widens her eyes, trying to suppress a grin, but fails when a chuckle leaves her lips.

"Well, I'd love to. Come in," she says, moving aside. It's quiet in the house, and it feels like someone was murdered in here. The way my chest feels heavier the moment I step in is freaking me out. It's only Jungkook's room that gives off a sense of comfort. Maybe it's the dark tones in comparison to the Scandinavian feel of the rest of the house. But this time I hope it is always like that. If she starts questioning something, I will be fucking doomed. I hope she won't come up with an idea to visit him. That's what I'm here for today, to stop her if I have to, but getting by without any crazy shit is my dream.

His father is out of the house, or at least he's not coming out to greet the guest. I don't mind it. The less, the better. Still, I'd much rather deal with his dad now. He seems like someone that wants to get by without much effort. It's his mom that pinches my sanity.

We settle in the kitchen as she asks me questions about my cooking history. It feels a lot like a job interview and my hands get clammy at the second question. I'll need a lot of rest after that evening.

She brings a cookbook and flips through it to show me a bunch of recipes. I can't focus as worry bubbles at the pit of my stomach. Not only this but also Jungkook's meeting stress me out to the point where I have to make my breaths deeper and deeper.