30

Cindy

May 1, 2019

"Hey, Jungkook," I step into the living room, eyes glued to my phone, a cherry lollypop between my lips. He's watching The Star Is Born for the fifth time this week and I might throw the TV out at some point. But not now. I have something more thrilling in front of me.

He hums, mouth full of popcorn.

"Have you ever heard of k-pop?"

"Yeah, sure. Some of my favorite bands are Korean. What about it?" he asks. I look up, my eyes linger on his side profile, just for a moment admiring how attractive he is in a sleeveless shirt and short shorts.

"You're Korean," I say, making him choke on a fistful of popped corn. He pauses the movie (no way he would miss a second of it), and looks at me like I'm raving.

"Have you gone insane, Cindy?"

"Please, don't take it seriously," I say, shaking my hands. "It's just an idea. It just... came to me. I saw this ad about an audition for a company in Los Angeles and it kinda occurred to me you would... fit."

"I don't even speak Korean," he mumbles.

"We can always learn." I chuckle, making my way to the couch. I grab the bowl from his arms, exchanging it for my phone. "Look, I'm not saying you have to. This is probably huge. Bigger than YouTube covers. But not undoable."

Jungkook scrolls down the ad and falls silent. As he reads, he bites into his lower lip and runs his fingers through his hair.

"Now you surprised me." He chuckles.

"Make whatever decision will be best for you. And think it through. I'm just... dropping ideas."

I prop my legs on the coffee table and start the movie. He glances at the TV, before lying his eyes on me. "You said you hate it."

"Yeah, but I feel like being with you." I mumble, eating popcorn as my head falls onto his shoulder.

"Cute," he whispers, leaning his head against mine.

The past month was hectic, but lighter. We laughed a lot more, we played a lot more, and everything actually felt like it's going uphill instead of falling apart. We focused more on ourselves, distanced from everything career and future related.

Jungkook is playing around with his music. We saved up a bunch of money, allowing him to release a couple of his own singles, as well as continuous covers on YouTube, but without any crazy plans yet. We know it's going somewhere, he wants it to go somewhere, but we both slowed down. Especially me. Now I talk everything out with him, before I take a step that might be too heavy on him mentally.

"It would be hard, probably," he says.

"What?"

"That k-pop thing." A sigh leaves his lips, but it's not a disappointed one. He's thinking about it. But I keep it cool, so that he doesn't feel like I'm pushing him. "Moving there, learning language, dancing, singing. And what my parents would say?"

"No pressure, Jungkook." I balance the bowl of my thighs as I reach to hold his palm. His body melts against mine as he exhales. "If anything, the audition is in a month. You have time to think about it," I add, letting him know that whatever he does, it will be fine.

May 28, 2019

"Cindy?" Jungkook's head pops into the kitchen. It's two in the morning, and none of us are asleep. At this point our sleepovers got so frequent that he practically lives here again, and his father seems to be very glad about it. He actually likes me a lot, and keeps asking about our relationship like the cool uncle who wants to give you unpopular relationship advice.