17

Jungkook

December 9, 2021

I drag my heavy legs downstairs, hoping I will at lease manage to drink water before I have to run to school. I am painfully late, but I can't do anything about it besides running. Cindy didn't stay long yesterday, since I told her to go. Not that I wanted to, but my mom became strangely curious about us, and, after she knocked on the door for the third time, I've had enough.

Even though she left early, I couldn't fall asleep until 3. Excitement turned my body into a shaken-up can of soda.

When I step into the kitchen, my mom is already there, brewing coffee for her and my dad. I mumble a greeting under my breath, too tired to force myself into a conversation, but my mom doesn't catch a hint.

"So... your friend..." she trails off, pouring the drink into two mugs. "Do you know what her parents are doing?"

The question catches me off guard, and I don't have a proper lie prepared. I glance at her wide-eyed, then at my dad. She continues before I can even think of an answer. "They are singers, Jungkook."

I don't understand what it has to do with anything, but the way she says it makes me uncomfortable. "And?"

"And they don't even live with her."

"Yeah, I know," I say, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge. I will be disappearing behind the door before I say something unkind.

"I don't think that's... very good."

"What do you mean?" I furrow my eyebrows. My dad only watches, like he doesn't want to engage in this conversation. Maybe for the first time he doesn't agree with my mother.

"I mean... it's important to surround yourself with only the best people. Being left by parents may leave some kind of trauma. Maybe she-"

"Mom," I cut her off and press my lips together. I never felt like I had parents in the first place, is what I want to say, but it's too early for that kind of conversation. "How she grew up and where were her parents has nothing to do with the person she is. I've known her longer than your one evening together so don't bring this up again, please," I say, lack of sleep in my voice making it a bit more dramatic for a little morning fun.

She looks at me, blinking as she searches for an answer.

"I'll be late to school," I mumble and leave before she can blow up.

But I'm not going to school, the thought of it makes my stomach twitch. My edgy teenage rebel makes decisions this morning.

JUNGKOOK: are you working

CINDY: no, at home

JUNGKOOK: cool

I'm at her apartment in fifteen minutes. It's my first time skipping school, and I feel a sense of freedom. The only two friends I used to have were constantly out of school, even suspended a few times, and I always watched them from the side. Not that I want to drop as low as them, but I've always been jealous about a thing or two they could do and I couldn't.

I thought I couldn't. I could, if only I was a little bit braver in a fight for my happiness.

"Excuse me, child, don't you have school?" Cindy grins as soon as the door swings open.