Chapter Five

Odd, odd, odd!!!

The moment I stepped into my mansion, weary to my bones, I got straight into the kitchen, opened the refrigerator, took a bottle of water and guzzled it, feeling invigorated soon after. Immediately I got myself, I rushed into my room, where I stayed whenever I spent time here rather than at my penthouse, and walked into my built-in closet, shuffling around the sporty/casual attires, trying to figure out what to wear to my date tomorrow. Terribly odd, wasn't it?

I ought to be resting or working to prepare for tomorrow yet here I stood, imagining how I'd looking in an ash sweatpants and shirt. I shook my head, confirming that it was too casual for me, so I went through the denim section instead and found a pair of jeans that would work. Now what was I to wear on top? A t-shirt, a Polo, a danshiki, a wooly jumper, a fitted sleeved shirt? Ugh, this was kinda hard to choose from. I sat down on a nearby fancy chair, deep in thought of the right top that would compliment the pair of jeans. Then I realized that these probably would show off my new stature that I was desperately trying to hide from everyone and settled for the ash sweatshirt and a denim jacket that matched the pants. For footwear, I took out a pair of the latest Nike Air force 1 shadow in plain white colour and heaved a sigh of victory. I stopped myself when I realized how pathetic I seemed to be; pinning after a date to the point that I already arranged my clothes neatly while I was sure the lady herself was sound asleep wherever she was.

I mentally gave myself a knock on the head at my stupidity and overexcitement. I had to go and rest so I could work efficiently the following day. At the same time I got out of my closest, I heard a knock from the room's entrance and ordered whoever it was to come in. Harriet, my cook, walked in with a tray containing dinner. I glanced at the clock on the wall showing that it was almost midnight. This could no longer be called dinner or could it?

"Sir, I'm sure you haven't eaten all evening till now. I made you something very light, some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, some orange juice and some blueberries." she spoke with a smile, the technique she used whenever she wanted me to eat. Some months after I was adopted, Harriet was employed to be my nanny and then when I grew older, she was assigned as head chef of the house. This happened when my parents got a hold of her college certificate which showed she studied culinary and gotten great results. They didn't want to let her go after her job as a nanny was done so she was assigned as the cook. She was like a mother to me, though in the last five years we barely talked heart to heart. She just served me when I needed food and when I stayed at the penthouse, came regularly to restock my kitchen.

I scratched my forehead—a reflex action for when I was confused—ready to decline the food but then I remembered I had to take my drugs so I accepted the tray from her and placed it on the table that served as my late night dinner table and my late night office-work table.

"Make sure you drink all of the fruit juice. I poured my love into it." she smiled again and left. I didn't realize how hungry I was until I took a bite. My stomach growled in appreciation and my mouth wanted more. In four minutes, the sandwiches, fruit juice and blueberries were gone and I took my medicine, feeling so much better. I showered and brushed my teeth, feeling lighter and healthier.

I took out one of my pyjamas, wore it and got into bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

***************

At my office the following day, I was distracted by tons of documents to sign and meetings to conduct. Overall, I was pretty swamped until noon. During lunch break, my uncle walked in, carrying two cups of coffee. I stood up from my chair to shake hands with him after he put down the coffee.

"Yesterday, I called Phillip and he mentioned he didn't drive you home. Where did you go?" he asked after our greeting and we had sat down.

"I just wanted some fresh air so I told him to go home while I took a walk." I replied, receiving my cup of coffee which he offered.

"I see." he said, nodding. I took a sip of the coffee and winced after tasting hot chocolate instead. I looked back at my uncle who couldn't stop grinning.

"Gotcha, didn't I? I don't think you ought to drink caffeine anymore considering your health." my uncle was the only one who knew about my cancer. He had gone with me to the hospital when I wanted to get tested. Harriet and him were the ones who noticed my symptoms even when I tried to conceal it. Harriet suspected I was very sick but never asked for the results of my test so I never told her. But I suspected she knew as well, I could see the pity in her eyes sometimes when she thought I wasn't observing. I was super appreciative that she cared.

"But I love coffee." I countered my uncle's decision. Who was he to tell me what to take and what not to?

"Remember, the doctor put me in charge of your well-being. I can't let you do or take anything that would harm you further and that's final." it was in moments like this I was reminded that he could still order me around like a puppy if he wanted to. I found myself agreeing—grudgingly—and sipped my beverage slowly. We discussed some business related matters and by the time we were done, lunch break was over.

"On your way out, please—" I coughed. "Please tell Alexa to come into my office so she can give her opinion about the new Chinese deal we made—" I coughed again and resumed talking. "Her opinion counts seeing as she's half Chinese." I requested for my personal assistant's presence through my uncle and then he nodded but still sat down even after commenting that was leaving my office so I could concentrate.

"I will. Have you taken your medicine Chiké?" as a white canadian, whenever he wanted to pronounce my name, he often ended up saying "Chai-key" rather than "Chi-Kay", the original pronunciation. At first I found it annoying but funny, however, it was kinda like the way the Canadians pronounced my name—including my parents—so I went with their flow. Seldomly, I attempted correcting them but it all seemed like my correction went in one ear and out the other because they still called me what they wanted to call me.

"Yes, I took some this morning over a plate of cereal. I'm fine." I dismissed his comment quite angry inwardly. I was mad at the cough for coming when I had company. If it had occurred when I was alone, I wouldn't be getting the sympathy I was getting now. I hoped it will never occur when I will be spending time with samira today. Oh wow, she had finally graduated to being called "Samira" in my subconsciousness and not "railway singing lady". Coming to think of it, she had one of the rarest and most beautiful names I'd ever heard.

At that moment, I suddenly remembered our date. Glancing at the time, I discovered I had about four to five hours left for our dinner date. I wondered where we were gonna eat at, I just hoped it was quiet enough for us to talk. I needed to start getting my answers as soon as possible."Chiké? Chiké? Are you even listening to me?" My uncle's voice and subtle tap on my wrist quenched my thoughts and brought me back to reality. I shook my head, asking him to repeat what he had said.

"Where did you run off to in that head of yours?" he asked, a little concerned that I was thinking about my illness. I waved my hands in the air, telling him to go on with his speech instead.

"I was saying you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle so you won't go from bad to worse. Make sure you have dinner tonight and take those medicines. I don't want my nephew gone before me." He added, finally standing to his feet, ready to walk out of the office.

"Sure uncle, thanks for your concern." I replied with gratitude and once again, shook hands with him. Shaking hands was the closest form of physical contact we had. I couldn't remember a time where we hugged or did anything remotely emotional but that was fine by me.

"Oh and make sure you drink all of your hot chocolate, I put all my love I into it." there was this glint in his eyes that made laugh out loud, as I remembered he and Harriet had said the same thing. These two people loved me dearly though they had a weird way of showing it.

"Of course I will, uncle. Have a great day." He left afterwards and I retreated into my office, drank all of my beverage while waiting for Alexa to come in as I had told my uncle to call her when he got to her office on his way out of mine.

Drumming my fingers on my desk, I waited impatiently for her to arrive so we could get the show on the road, complete all assignments and appointments for the day so I could go home and get prepared for dinner tonight.

I just hoped it would all be worth it at the end.