Chapter Seventeen

The drive to Chiké's home lasted about forty five minutes. Damn! I had no idea it was almost at the outskirts of town. When we pulled over, we gazed at the magnificent house in front of us, spellbound.

Thirsty for more of its beauty, we rushed out of the truck to feast our eyes on a house I was certain we both had never seen in reality before, heck, even in our dreams. House, who was I kidding? This was a small city! The kind of house that belonged to Royalty. How come Chiké never told me he lived with the Queen of England? This sure looked like a place she'd likely live in, one hundred percent. If I lived in a house like this, I would never leave its premises. I would spend the rest of my days roaming around, discovering new sights to see because there sure would be something new each day.

"Wow! Oh my lucky stars! This house sure beats my fantasy house!" Rose muttered, still in awe.

"I know, right? Its breathtaking!" I responded.

"And the fact that African Lover boy owns the place, makes him ten times hotter, don't you think?" at the mention of his nickname, I suddenly remembered the true reason we were here. Oh no!

Like a Superhero, I ran forward, heading to the door and rang the doorbell twice. Rose caught up with me, breathing heavily behind me. As we caught our breath, we waited for our call to be answered. A while later, the door opened and an elderly woman, possibly in her early fifties, walked out. She had the same skin colour as mine and there were traces of grey hair on her head.

"Can I help you?" she asked in the politest voice ever. She sounded like a nun or an immaculate being. So pure, sans blemish.

"We're looking for Chiké. Is he at home?" I tried to match her politeness but mine was far different from hers. Rather hoarse.

"Yes, he is. I'm afraid you didn't introduce yourselves earlier." she added in a very thick French accent.

"Oops, sorry! I'm Samira and this is my best friend, Rose." we shook hands with her as she reciprocated firmly. "You must be Harriet." I predicted and she looked at me in surprise.

"Indeed I am. How are you aware of that?" I sighed in bliss that she was the 'Harriet' and not someone else who was young and pretty. To be candid, I got a tad jealous when Chiké mentioned 'Harriet' had prepared his breakfast.

"We're Chiké's friends and we'd like to see him if he's around." I explained. She nodded and let us in.

"He had breakfast about an hour ago and went into his room. Let me go and call him. Excuse me." she said and made a turn to leave.

"Actually, can we go with you? You see my best friend here, spoke with him about an hour ago as well and he sounded sick. We'd like to go in with you to confirm if he's all right." Rose requested and for the second time today, I was thankful she came with me. "Oh sure. Though I believe he's fine. Probably having his siesta. Come with me." She agreed and we mirrored her footsteps to his room, a little distracted by the wonders of the living room.As we got to his door, she knocked politely and opened it, walked into the room and ushered us in. The room was larger than my entire apartment and more glamorous than my imagination could comprehend. I had just placed my fifth step in when I screamed at the gory sight in front of us. Rose and Harriet's screams followed suit as we bulldozed over to Chiké's lifeless form at the edge of his bed. I gasped in shock as his body lay cold. There were splatters of blood on his bed, his pajamas and the fluffy rug on the floor. Quickly, I pinned my index and middle fingers to the base of his neck, searching hopefully for a pulse.Slowly but surely, I felt his pulse. He was still alive! Oh glory be to God!My fighter! He was still hanging on. "Call an ambulance, please!" I howled and the two women searched frenziedly for a phone. Harriet brought hers but her fingers wouldn't stop trembling. Therefore, Rose snatched it from her and called the emergency line for an ambulance. They promised to be around in three minutes. At exactly five minutes, the ambulance came barrelling around multitasking; examining Chiké and asking us questions at the same time. We answered as best as we could and soon he was moved and placed in their van. Harriet went along with them in the van, representing family while Rose and I tailed behind in our truck as it sped away, its siren in full blast.I sat unease, afraid of what next and hopeful that he was fighting.Oh God, please save him.