Chapter Thirteen

I awoke to the sound of a knock and Harriet's voice announcing what I had ordered had been delivered and she instructed them to set them up in my closet. I frowned at the intrusion of my peaceful sleep and groaned as I climbed out of bed to prepare for work. Stepping into my bathroom, I stared at my reflection in the mirror, checking for positive or negative change in my body. Nothing seemed to have changed although I looked a little healthier than before. I climbed on the weight measurement scale just to verify I was in better state of health. It turned out that truly, I had added a few pounds, though not healthy enough but what mattered was my wellbeing had improved. While I showered, I heard footsteps in the closet however, I was reassured that whatever was going on, Harriet was right there with them, supervising it all. When I was done, I brushed my teeth, gurgled a mouthwash and combed my hair. My afro curls were getting fuller, reminding me I need to trim my hair soon.

All freshened up, I walked through the door adjoining the bathroom and closet. There, I found two men and three women setting things in order. Harriet nodded as soon as she saw me and then left to go prepare breakfast. I invigilated them noting that they had also brought in products from Nike as well. I was just about to inquire when one of the women walked up to me to explain that my Personal Assistant had ordered both casual wear and footwear/Sportswear from Tommy Hilfiger and Nike respectively. Alexa must have known I loved Nike footwear so much. She was truly efficient and deserved a raise.

When they left after turning down my breakfast offer, I thought about what to wear to work today. Getting a tad spontaneous, I took out a black tracksuit with orange strips by both sides of the arms and legs. Then I complimented the outfit with a pair of black stockings and black Nike Air Jordan sneakers. Judging my appearance as I turned to stare at the mirror, I looked more like a relay race athlete than an actual business man. I was unable to fathom how astonished my employees at the office would be.

I got a taste of the supposed astonishment when I got to the breakfast bar the same time Harriet walked in from the kitchen carrying a tray of freshly baked honey doughnuts. The delicious aroma floated easily around the room, making me slobber. However, her expression turned from surprise to curiousity as she enquired if I was going to the gym on a weekday. I almost laughed as I explained it was what I had opted on wearing for the day. She however, didn't believe me. Nevertheless, I ate my breakfast zealously, took my medication and grabbed my suitcase, all set for work. By the door, Harriet called out to me, hot on her heels, holding a plastic cup with a straw placed through the opening on top. I made a face in disgust at the greenness of the drink. What on earth was in it? I doubted I had the strength to eat or drink anything irritating, all in the name of living a healthy life.

"Here, this is a smoothie. A green apple and cucumber smoothie and it doesn't taste as bad as it looks. Try it!" she compelled while handing over the cup to me. I tried to hide my grimace but failed woefully as I took a sip of the so called smoothie. Hot damn! It actually tasted yummy. There was a touch of yoghurt and ice cubes that heighten its sweetness.

"Tastes mouthwatering, doesn't it?" She asked with an all-knowing look. I concurred with a thumbs up. Just as I was about to head out, she shouted "Great. Make sure you drink it all. I poured all my love into it." I stopped on my tracks and moved around just in time to catch her wink. If I made no mistake, this was the second time she had mentioned those words. Even my uncle, Gerald, had said the exact thing on one occasion.

"Strange! Uncle Gerald also said the same thing the other day." I commented. She had a look of shock but regained composure and smiled her usual adorable smile.

"Its the truth, son. We both want what's best for you." I reciprocated her smile and hugged her this time, planting a swift kiss on her cheek before leaving. My journey to the office was filled with smiles. I had no idea they both loved me that much. Harriet demonstrated her love for me by making sure I had access to all the geat tasting and wholesome food I could ever want, whenever and wherever. However, Uncle Gerald hardly showed signs of love but recently, with how concerned he was over my health, the truth was glaring. I was beyond grateful for them.