11

January 1st, 1977

As the year of 1977 was welcomed, James and Donna were still on each others arms

As the year of 1977 was welcomed, James and Donna were still on each others arms. James dipped his head to kiss the girl once more, bringing his hand to cup her face, as his thumb caressed her cheek. The girl smiled in the kiss, and soon the bespectacled boy smiled as well.

He moved so Donna's back was on the rail and he was hoovering over her, their lips still connected as he pressed his body on hers, making the girl sigh.

But soon, red locks and green eyes flashed on James' mind, and he suddenly pulled away from Donna, as if she was poisonous. Donna frowned, seeing his expression.

"What's wrong?" She asked, extending her hand to hold James' face, but the boy took a step back from her. Her eyes flashed with hurt.

"I-I need to go." He didn't give Donna time to answer before turning away and hurriedly leaving the balcony. Donna just looked at the boy's back, her heart hurting from rejection.

She couldn't understand what she had done wrong. Her mind replayed the moment to see if she had done something to anger the boy, but she simply hadn't done anything.

'Maybe you suck at kissing.' Her conscience shouted and she furrowed her brows. 'But then he would've ran away the moment I kissed him.' She retorted.

'Maybe you have bad breath. You did eat that ugly snack.' Donna's eyes widened and she brought a hand to her mouth, breathing on it so she could smell her breath. 'Nope, no bad breath.'

She ran out of ideas of what could possibly had caused him to run away and she sighed in defeat.

Donna decided to go back to the manor, exhausted, physically from the ball, and mentally from the last minutes.

'What a way to start the new year.' She thought.

After going down to the ball room, she went towards her grandparents. Her grandma held a knowing smile on her face.

"Nonna, can I go back home? I'm a bit tired." She asked her grandma, who instantly frowned.

"Alone?" Lucia raised an eyebrow, suspicious.

"Well, yes. You don't have to come if you don't want to." Donna answered, not understanding why her grandma narrowed her eyes at her.

"What about James?" Lucia tried to ask as if she didn't know anything, but this time, Donna narrowed her eyes.

"I don't know where he went." Giuseppe just stared at his wife and granddaughter confused, not understanding why there were so many eyes narrowing.

"Yes, pumpkin, you can go. Just make sure the doors are locked." The man said, narrowing his eyes as well, not wanting to be left out. Donna and Lucia just looked weirdly at him.