Chapter 6: Hangman

She must have been the one to pass out this time, because Katya didn't remember anything from the crash, or the tumbling, or the fact that they were now upside down inside a metro station.

It was awfully silent. The passengers inside the station had already let out their screams and gasps.

Blood rushed to Katya's head and she knew that even though they had crashed, the soldier would be back to check if they were actually dead. After all, he had seen them survive a car crash and a plummet into a river before.

She hissed when she placed one hand on the roof of the car - which was on the ground - to push herself into her seat so she could unlock her seatbelt.

The broken windows had thrown glass inside, which cut her palms open again. From the rustling in front of her, she gathered that the others were awake and climbing out as well.

As dizzy and disoriented as she was, Katya almost tipped over when she was free of the wreckage and got to her feet. But a hand shot out to stabilize her while she shook her head to try and get rid of the spinning world. This wasn't the time to feel this way, not being able to take a step.

Natasha also helped Yelena to her feet after making sure Katya wouldn't fall over. The blonde's arm dripped with blood and she went to tie a scarf around it. But Natasha stopped her, clearly a plan in the back of her head.

''No. Not now, trust me.'' She took her wrist and tugged her towards the escalators leading further into the station, glancing back every few seconds to make sure Katya followed. They needed to get away. And fast.

They slid down the tiled spaces between the escalators' handrails, which probably looked really funny to outsiders. Like they were sledding down a hill or something. It wasn't that innocent though.

Screams sounded behind them, which meant the soldier was close. Katya looked over her shoulder - a stupid idea - and saw how a shield got thrown their way. His shield. And it moved too fast to stay ahead of it. But the bottom of the escalator emerged fast.

Right before the weapon could cut their heads off - quite literally - their feet met solid ground again and the trio dropped down to their stomachs. The silver shield flew over their heads, getting stuck in a stone pillar ahead of them.

Katya's breathing was erratic from all the running and the adrenaline in her body, and her muscles hurt from the blow they got. Or multiple blows. But she still scrambled to her feet and ran after the others, in the direction of the platforms. They ran like their lives depended on it. Which it did.

Natasha gripped Yelena's wrist again, gave a tug on it so she was forced to bend down, and had her bloody hand touch a hatch on the floor. They weren't going that way though. No, it was to throw off the soldier. Because after that, the redhead took a right towards the edge of a platform and jumped up to flip one of the panels of an air vent open. Such a smart plan.

Quickly, she folded her hands and gestured for Yelena to set her foot in them, lifting her up and in to hide her blood. Next up was Katya, who didn't try and argue that her wife should go first. She disappeared into the stuffy space with a grunt, the muscles in her arms protesting against pushing herself in. 

But Natasha had it hardest. Nobody could give her a lift. So she had to jump to grab onto the edge and used all her strength to pull her whole body weight up and in, silently shutting the panel afterwards. 

All three of them held their breaths, watching through the tiny holes in the metal grid as the soldier fell into their trap. Well, Natasha's trap.

As their hearts thumped against their ribcages and groans and pants were swallowed, he loudly ripped the hatch off the floor and disappeared down there, not knowing the Russians were above him. And when he did, a breath of relief traveled through the vent. They had gotten away again. At least for a little while.