Chapter 10: He Asked For It, Really

Katya didn't exactly fall asleep with the terrible noise of the helicopter, but she did drift in and out of a light sleep. She had been careful not to mess up her ponytail and destroy Yelena's hard work, so when Natasha shouted her name from the front, she sat up looking as good as she did before.

What she saw through the window was nothing like the green landscape they departed from. Snow covered the landscape as far as Katya could see, the air was noticeably colder than before, and she suddenly understood why their suits were white. 

On a plain, between the snowy mountains, stood a grey building. The prison. Even a dumb person could see this was for the most dangerous criminals the world had to offer. Fences as high as buildings - no doubt electrified - and huge watchtowers all around the small courtyard. It was remote. Anyone who did manage to escape, would freeze to death within hours.

This was exactly the kind of prison Katya could have ended up in, had she chosen any other path in life.

She stood behind the two chairs in front, one hand on each to not fall over, with the extra headset on so she could hear what the others were saying and what Alexei would hopefully say if he was smart enough to find their earpiece.

Natasha wasn't nervous, Yelena wasn't nervous. At least not yet. They appeared more bored. Like this was something they had to get over with. It made Katya all the more interested in who this Alexei person was. 

''What is he's too stupid and won't find it?'' Yelena joked with her Russian accent. She had the tablet in her lap, patiently waiting for a dot to appear when Alexei activated the earpiece. It would tell them his location, which would hopefully help lead him out safely.

''Then we'll drop you in the courtyard and let you figure it out,'' Katya teased her, which she could appreciate, even if she sent her a glare.

''Then we'll come up with something else,'' Natasha answered distracted, constantly peeking out the window.

But they didn't have to worry about other plans. Because suddenly there was a small click in their ears and a green dot appeared on the tablet. Alexei. Yelena picked it up, showing the lay-out of the prison to Natasha, who was the mastermind behind this plan. 

''Today is your lucky day, Alexei,'' she said dryly and without enthusiasm, which made Katya smile. ''Move to the door on the south wall.''  

Yelena pressed a button and the door slid open. They could hear the rattling through the earpiece. So far, so good. The green dot moved slightly, stopped after a couple steps, and then did indeed move south. Slowly, probably to stay casual. 

''Go left,'' Natasha said at the next intersection. ''Just don't make a scene.'' Her tone of voice reminded Katya of Bucky's whenever he was in a situation that annoyed him. Exasperated, bored, flat. Even her expression radiated boredom, like they weren't in the middle of a prison break.

Alexei's dot moved left, but pretty soon, it started picking up speed. And through the comms, they could hear an alarm go off, followed by yelling. First faint, then louder. Then, something that sounded like fighting. Everyone in the helicopter let out an annoyed breath. That didn't sound very covert.

''For fuck's sake,'' Katya breathed, rolling her eyes. 

''You made a scene, didn't you?'' Natasha asked Alexei, who hadn't said anything yet. In the distance, they saw one of the outer steel doors fall out of its hinges. Out came one lonely man. 

He was large, broad, tall. And Katya saw his beard from the air as the helicopter flew closer and closer. Not what she pictured a supersoldier would look like, but who knew what Steve would have looked like after decades in prison?