Chapter 8: You Got Married?!

After the beers were finished and they stuffed enough snacks in their mouths to feel slightly full, they casually stood up like they were going to leave. Only they didn't walk out onto the street, presumably back to wherever they came from. No, instead, they headed for the workshop. The empty workshop. With the very lonely car.

Confidence was always the key with this stuff. Act like you belong there and nobody questions it.

''Shotgun,'' Yelena quickly said after Natasha grabbed the keys, indeed in the top drawer of the green cabinet.

Poor guy would come out of his house tomorrow to find his expensive car gone. And it was a nice car. A BMW. Not as expensive as Katya's McLaren, but it had leather sports seats and looked like it had a big engine.

Great, now her mind was on her McLaren, which stood parked in the garage of the Compound. If any of the remaining Avengers touched it, they'd lose their hand. If she'd ever see them or the car again...

Katya stopped dead in her tracks, a couple feet in front of the car. ''What? No.'' She hated sitting in the back, even more so when people forced her to with a childish game. ''How old are you?''

Yelena smiled proudly, standing next to the passenger's seat door. ''I called shotgun. You were too late. Accept your defeat.'' Her smug face got her a fierce glare from the brunette.

Natasha chuckled, walking around the car and unlocking it. Hurt, Katya looked at her. ''Nat?''

''Sorry, she called shotgun,'' she replied right before taking her respectful place behind the wheel. Even through the dark windshield with all the reflections in it, Katya could see her smirk and how much she enjoyed the look on her wife's face. 

''Fine. I wanted to nap anyway,'' she grumbled, giving in. She wasn't going to win this today, and, honestly, was too tired to argue.

With a thundercloud above her head, Katya got in the back, in the middle seat. Because she needed to see the road ahead comfortably. And this way, she could also see both women in the front. Not that she didn't trust Yelena, but she'd do anything to feel less left out. 

Natasha didn't need much time to figure out the car. Within seconds, she sped out of the workshop, turning right when she got to the road. They didn't have a destination, but out of the city was a good start. Away from the Widows, away from the Soldier.

Yelena's hand shot out to wrap around the handle on the door, needing something to hold onto, because Natasha once again sped through the streets like a maniac. Driving the speed limit was simply not for her. Those signs were suggestions, not obligations.

''Jeez, woman. We're not in a rush.'' Her tense posture compared to Katya's relaxed state was like day and night.

''She always drives like this,'' Katya said casually, closing her eyes and letting her head fall back against the headrest. She felt like she could, because despite the speedy driving and the two car crashes they had this week, Natasha would never lose control of the vehicle. She drove fast, but never dangerous. She always knew exactly what she was doing. 

It was silent for a while, because most had been talked about prior. At least the important stuff. Or so Katya thought. Because Yelena's voice echoed through the car once again, causing her to open her eyes.

''Wait. What is that?'' she exclaimed, looking at the steering wheel or Natasha's hands. It wasn't entirely clear. 

''I believe that's called a ring,'' Natasha deadpanned. But Yelena narrowed her eyes at it.

''You don't wear rings.'' She turned in her seat, reaching for Katya's hand that lay comfortably in her lap. ''Let me see your...'' Yelena brought it closer to her quite harshly, which caused Katya's upper body to tip forward as well. Her free hand shot out to stop herself from planting face-first into the middle console, and she sent Yelena a dirty glare for it.