Episode 8: Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

Eda tapped her foot in rhythm to the boiling rains pumping against the barrier outside. She watched in amusement as King battled a ducky sock stuck on his nose.

"And here we have the most fearsome creature in the world, the King of Demons. Facing his natural enemy, the ducky sock!" Eda teased, watching as King finally ripped the sock to shreds. King scoffed and blew Eda off.

"Human Luz, I will give you yet another lesson on demons! You will grow up to be the most fearsome!" King shouted at the toddler, who was sitting patiently holding Francois. "Prepare yourself for... Demons 101! Demons like me are grim tricksters of the twilight, creatures of sulfur and bone." Luz tilted her head, trying her best to understand King's word choices.

Eda snorted. "And cute little paws."

King sighed. "Can you ever cran it? But... yes. And cute little paws. True. We live only to create chaos and misery. Our only weaknesses are purified water and passive‐aggressive comments. Sometimes."

Luz giggled as Eda cooed lightly. "Aw, you guys are sensitive."

"Even demons have inner demons. The most powerful demon of all, is the Snaggleback! He's a-"

"Bad boy!" Eda exclaimed, ruffling King's head fur as she walked past, catching Luz's attention.

"Luz, pay attention! This information could save your life someday."

"You expect a toddler to pay attention to a boring demon lesson?"

"My lessons are not boring!"

Suddenly, a crash of thunder and Hooty's screams alerted the three. Eda opened the door as a terrified Hooty curled up behind her.

"Hoot! The barrier is failing me!"

The barrier Eda had put up minutes prior was not rapidly decreasing in size.

"Ah! Boiling rain is comin' in! Everybody inside, now!"

Eda grabs Luz, who had just crawled outside after Eda, and basically threw herself, Luz, and King inside the house.

"Phew! That was close! But the important thing is, nobody got hurt."

"Yep! Totally not hurt at all in the slightest!" King screamed, laying on top of a crying Luz.

.

.

.

.

.

King carefully put a bandaid on a burn on Luz's arm, following with putting a bandaid on his snout.

"Look! Now we're boo-boo buddies!"

"Boo-boo!"

"That's right! Boo-boo buddies!"

"Ugh. This annoys me so much sometimes..." Eda muttered, glancing at Luz. "Hey, I wonder if humans have these types of things on earth."

"Don't they have... like... I don't know, weather? Not plagues, gorenados, shale hail, painbows..." King carefully counted on his paws.

"How am I supposed to know? I've been to the human realm only a couple of times. Been nothin' but sunshine. Disgusting. And Las... eh... Vegan? Horrific..." Eda shuddered at the thought.

"Ever heard of a painbow?" King asked, nudging Luz. "It's like a rainbow, but looking at it will turn you inside out, heh!" King grabs the strings of Luz's onsie, drawing her hood closed. Luz giggled.

"Yep. So, until the Boiling Rains stops, nobody is allowed outside tonight."

"And if the rain doesn't get you... the snaggleback will! They wonder the rain, feeding on boiled tourists!"