Episode 19: Grimsmas

Luz's eyes had barely peaked open before Eda was scooping her up and bombarding her with kisses and attention.

Small and unknowing Luz made noises of happiness, gibbering away while wiping the sleep from her eyes.

Little did the toddler know, today was Grimsmas Eve. Grimsmas was the Boiling Isles version of Christmas back in the human realm. You celebrated in nearly the exact same way, surprisingly.

Lilith groaned as she walked into the room, sporting a 'hideous' Christmas sweater. Luz's eyes lit up at the sight of her aunt, prompting her to reach and babble.

"Lily, Lily!" Luz called out, opening and closing her fists. Drool creeped from the very corner of her mouth, falling unnoticed to the floor.

Lilith smiled at the toddler, taking her from Eda and cooing at her. "Why, hello there my little light, are you ready for Grimsmas tomorrow?" Lilith threw Luz into the air, catching her almost instantly. Eda smiled at Luz's and Lilith's relationship. It was something special for sure.

Lilith booped Luz on the nose, placing her on her hip as King scrambled up Eda's shoulder.

"Okay, okay. We have to put the tree up." Lilith reminded, watching as King squealed with delight.

Eda, unsurprisingly, took off down the steps. "I get first dibs!"

Lilith groaned, calling out after her. "Edalyn! It's Luz's first Grimsmas!"

Lilith followed suit, tracing close behind the younger woman who was jittery with excitement.

"I was kidding, Lily. Jeez, learn to relax some."

Lilith rolled her eyes, but handed Luz off anyway, prying at a cardboard box to open it. After many failed attempts, Ravioli flew down and used her beak to tear the tape.

Lilith patted her Palisman on the head before pulling out some colorful string lights. Luz watched silently in awe, eyes wide and focused.

"Do you like them?" Lilith asked to no one in particular. But still, King was the first to bud in.

"I love them! Look how pretty!" King commented, wobbling closer to the string lights.

"King, keep Luz occupied while me and Lily put the lights up."

At that, King whined, tilting his head towards Eda. "Not fair! I wanna help! And so does Luz!"

Eda sat Luz in her bouncer, securing her so that she couldn't move.

"You guys can't help with this. You can hang ornaments when we're done, though."

King had snapped out of his whining state at that, tilting his head and closing his eyes in happiness.

"Okay, I will keep her occupied!"

-

December 26th.

It went horrible.

When Lilith and Eda tried to put the string lights up on Grimsmas Eve, the tree fell over, breaking a few things in the process.

Then, the food that was supposed to be for Grimsmas day, burnt, while they were dealing with the tree.

Then, Luz cut her finger on a piece of glass that broke when the tree fell.

After that, Luz was cranky and didn't want to participate in anything at all.

Even Gwen tried to help, but everything was backfiring.

On Grimsmas day, Hooty had destroyed the presents under the tree, trying to, in his words, 'get a peak'.

Not to mention, what WAS salvaged from dinner, Hooty gulped down like it was nothing.

So here they were, Grimsmas ruined. No decorations, no presents, no food or cookies, and no Grimsmas spirits. Could it get any worse?

Luz watched as Gwen, Lilith, and Eda scrambled around, trying to fix this and that, trying to salvage the toddlers' first holiday, but to no avail.

King sat beside her, staring at his paws. She baby reached a hand out to touch his furry shoulder, babbling quietly to him.

King, as if he understood, looked up and wiped his nose, sniffling quietly.

"Yesterday – today – was supposed to be perfect, Luz. Now what're we gonna do?"

Luz was quiet, save for the small coos coming from behind her lips. She flashed King a goofy smile before steadying herself and wobbling in the opposite direction of the ensuing chaos.

King perked his head up with a tiny 'weh?' of surprise, before ultimately deciding to follow the curious toddler.

To his surprise, she led him outside. Not once stopping, Luz made her way to wherever she had set her mind on going to.

-

Eda had plopped on the couch, exhaustion finally wearing at her. She wiped the dripping sweat off her forehead, groaning periodically.

Gwen joined her on the couch, followed by Lilith. All three woman had tried their hardest to save Grimsmas, but it was ruined. Not to mention it was partially Hooty's fault.

"Hey..." Gwen mentioned somberly. "Where's the baby?"

"The baby..." Eda repeated, almost mechanically, before her eyes widen at the realization. "The baby! Where's the baby?!"

All three of them jumped up in a panic, instantly calling for Luz and King.

"She's a toddler, she couldn't have gone far!" Lilith commented, searching around the piles of King's toy's. How long had it been since they last saw the duo? A few hours, at least.

When the search inside the house came up nothing, worry struck in even more as they realized she was somewhere outside. Outside, in the big open world known as the Boiling Isles. A dangerous place for a toddler and tiny demon to be on their own.

So the three women took their search outside, wanting to find the duo before the night fell. The sun was setting, dusk was here. The day was nearing its end. The moon reared its pale and dimly lit end, threatening nighttime any moment now. And still, they searched and searched and searched until...

Eda grew tears almost instantly, covering her mouth with her hand. Gwen and Lilith could only stare, shock coursing through their veins.

Luz clapped, and King proudly stood beside her, back facing the triumph he had Luz just accomplished.

And behind them?

In the center of the town, a huge tree stood – 20 to 30 feet high maybe? - string lights and ornaments and banners painted the beautiful image. Atop the green pine, a big, beautiful star was placed, its colors contrasting with the now dark, night sky.

And gathered around the tree, was everyone in the Boiling Isles. Food stands with cookies and treats and food galore were sprinkled across the vast space.

A few people were even trying to offer the trio an array of gifts, showing their appreciation and spirits for this day.

Eda didn't know what she did to deserve this. The day turned out to be perfect after all.

And who would've guessed that the masterminds behind it all would be 2.5 feet tall?