Episode 24: Maybe Not Magic

Eda scrambled to get everything her and Luz would need.

"Are you excited for very first field trip today, Luz?"

"Yeah!" Luz said, excitement bubbling in her voice. She smiled a toothy grin and closed her hands into fists, eyes practically glowing.

"I think Princy-B said we're going to the Knee, and that guardians can join the field trip, too! Isn't that fun?" Eda ruffled Luz's hair and slid past her, stuffing things into her hair.

Luz clapped, laughing slightly. She twirled where she stood, letting her embroidery dress twist and flow due to the quick and sudden movement. "Like my dress?" Luz asked Eda, who spared the toddler a long glance.

"Of course. It was nice of Raine to sew it for you." Eda said nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders as she continued to stuff things inside her hair.

"Yeah." Luz replied, staring at the beautiful and professional looking designs. They amazed her.

"Oookay, I'm done," Eda said, quickly scooping Luz in her arms. "Be good, furball." Eda said, pointing to a yawning King.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." King wrapped his tail around himself and yawned again, before closing his eyes and snoring slightly.

"Have fun, Luz!" Lily said cheerfully, waving to the toddler and then going back to her book.

Lily read the first word on the page she was on, and then looked over to King. King looked up at her as if on cue, and lashed his tail. He jumped in her lap and they fist bumped. The two of them giggled mischievously and leaped off the couch.

.

.

.

"Are you excited?" Eda asked the toddler. Luz jittered with... excitement? Nervousness?

"Uh-huh..." Luz said, trailing off. "Nervous, too..." she said softly, fiddling with her fingers. Eda smiled and ruffled her hair.

"That's fine, kid. I understand. I wasn't nervous on my first field trip, but I guess human nervous systems work differently."

Luz swallowed a lump in her throat, giggling nervously.

Eda, seeing the childs' distress, ruffled her hair again. It was a small act that always seemed to calm Luz down.

"You'll be fine, okay? You got friends, and I'll be there. And, you're going to have a bunch of fun. And..."

Luz took a deep breath and puffed out her chest. She nodded at the elder woman, eyes twinkling with expectation.

"You'll learn some magic." Eda bit her tongue as to not ruin the fun. Was it possible for Luz to learn magic? She was human, after all.

But at her words, Luz jittered again, this time with an excitement Eda noticed.

And the duo came to a land not long after, arriving at the all so infamous Hexside.

"Hey princy-B. Where are we going?" Eda asked as she landed Owlbert safely.

"Don't call me that."

"Sooooo?" Eda scoffed, cocking her head to the side.

"We're going to the Knee!" A small child ran up and said, tugging on Eda's dress. Eda grimaced as Luz ran to meet with her friends.

"Oookay, kid." Eda used her foot to scoop the snotty child away, shivering at the thought of the germ infested children that surrounded her.

"Reminder, Eda," Principle Bump spoke softly, pulling Eda aside. "We're going to practice using magic and spells, mainly with training wands. Let me remind you that if Luz doesn't show even a little hint of magic, then next year she won't be allowed to attend Hexside anymore."