~SEVEN~

After a lot of effort Liu Changsheng managed to get ready with Mu Ling following closely behind. But before leaving he ran to Fu Lian Canting to meet Hua Xiong before leaving. At the restaurant he sat at the table he always sits. In a different table Concubine Li was sitting with her maid. A guard was keeping a close watch. But unknown to everyone, Concubine Li coming here today was totally preplanned.

A few minutes later Hua Feng came to meet his Liu Xiong with a waiter carrying a jar of wine and two cups. After greeting each other they both sat, and Liu Changsheng poured a cup of bamboo wine with a tinge of peony flower essence for each of them.

"Hua Xiong. I'll be leaving for an overseas trip with my father today."

Hua Feng took a sip of the fragrant drink in his cup. Savouring the taste and giving a smile to the younger he nods.

"It's time then?"

"It is, Hua Xiong." Liu Changsheng too sipped on his drink and finished it after some times. "I will be coming back in a month or two. Until then nothing is supposed to happen. But if something does happen, I entrust you to save her life."

"She's my cousin after all." The smile on the restaurant owner's face never leaving. And after a glance to Concubine Li, Liu Changsheng left the restaurant.

Without anyone knowing a signal was sent from Liu Changsheng to Concubine Li, which will save the later's life and eventually turn the chain of events in future.

After coming back from meeting his friend, San Liu Gong Zi entered the house on Xiao Su to find his father getting ready to go to the port. He saw the youngest son entering the house with a smile in his face and wondered what might have happened to make his son feel this happy.

After the bandit attack and after Liu Changsheng was taken he stopped being his usual playful self which made the old man worry. But when the same son started focusing on helping him in the business and being more present in the household the old merchant's worry was gone in an instant. But he's a father after all and he knows he needs to make sure all his children are okay.

Liu Changsheng and his father boarded the merchant ship at the port. They had a lot of people to accompany them on the voyage. Liu Changsheng was given a room on the upper level beside his father's room. Entering the room Liu Changsheng puts down xuehui on the table. The room is not very specious but not very small either. He sits on the bed and looks at the floor distracted.

Remembering what happened in this past month he thinks what is gonna happen next. In his life all he's been going through had him be cautious about all the incidents happening around him. He gets his fan out of his sleeve and goes out of the room and stands at the balcony of the upper level of the ship looking out.

In the afternoon he sat with his father in his father's room for some tea. After he pours the tea the old merchant takes it from him but looks at him without sipping his own tea. He could feel his father had something to ask him. But he didn't know how to ask his father about it.

"Shengsheng, father will ask you something, will you answer truthfully?"

Liu Gong Zi looks at his father, but he didn't know how to answer to that either. So he just nods.

"Shengsheng likes the fourth prince?"

"Father?"

"Father wants everything best for Shengsheng. You can tell father honestly."

Liu Changsheng bows his head down. He didn't want to tell his father and make him disappointed.

"Shengsheng dares not, father." He made it sound vague. Because no matter what he says his heart still beats for the fourth prince. He remembers the night he died. He remembers what he promised to himself. But the heart wants what it wants. And he can't listen to his heart. Not this time. He's had enough.

"Is there anything you should share with me, my son?"

Liu Changsheng just looks at his father. He wasn't a fool to not realise that his father had someone shadowing him. And somehow instead of being angry he was thankful.

"A-Sheng. I should tell you this. I appointed a shadow guard for you. I did not want anything happen to you. And that shadow guard told me some things. If something happened for you to change this much, you can tell father."

"Father need not worry. Shengsheng is okay. I will talk to father if there is any problem." Shengsheng gives out a sigh. He needed to talk about something with his father though. "Shengsheng wants father to be more cautious with this voyage."

The old merchant Liu Huahua was curious to what his son meant. He knew something was bothering his youngest son and if he could help by being cautious, he would. Liu Huahua's questioning eyes didn't escape the third young master.

"Father's standing in the imperial court is quite influential. Some people might be envious and want to slander with father's name in the court. Given this voyage is very beneficial to the country and very prosperous for the Liu household, I suggest father acts accordingly after the voyage ends. I hope father understands what this son means."

The old man was shocked to see his son's foresight. He didn't know his son was this intelligent and tactful. Even he wasn't very happy with his Shengsheng's complete character change, if this is the result, he was satisfied. After all he wanted to have his son to prosper in life. So he gives a smile and nods.

He would be cautious and act according as the voyage goes.

At night the ship reached the second port right at the end of the imperial city and after this the next port will be in the foreign country. Liu Changsheng was sitting at the table at the balcony of the ship playing with his flute anticipating if he should play it or not. Even though he was distracted the slight sound on the wood of the boat did not escape his ears.

Liu Changsheng became alert. It was a ship floating on the water and there were dangers everywhere. And he was alone. Mu Ling was downstairs helping at the ships hull and if he moved a bit he would be able to be visible by those in the lower level of the boat. But before he could do anything or much less make a move, a tall figure blocked his path. He realised he was cornered and very very at a disadvantage. He didn't have his daggers in his fan. He has a flexible dagger in his boot but he can't bend down. At the heat of the moment he remembered he can summon Xuehui with his martial power. And that's what he did. He summons Xuehui and holds it in front of the intruder in a defensive stance and was ready to charge when a familiar voice filled his ears with tone he once used to think as music.

"Gong Zi. Shi wo. It's me."

Hey guys! Here's a new chapter.... I'm not really satisfied with this chapter... Also these days I'm a bit busy studying for the entrance exam... So I don't get much time to write... But I'll keep posting whenever I get time....

I hope you enjoy!
All the love
C 💕