~THIRTY-FOUR~

After a whole day of emotional storm when the Xiang Wang went back to his palace the first person he met was his concubine, Duan Jiali.

Duan Jiali paid her respect to the Wangye and decided to go to her chambers when the fourth prince stopped her himself.

"Jiajia."

Surprised at the familiar name she stopped on her track. It was when they both were only children was when he used to call her that.

Official Duan was a high ranking official in the then emperor, Hong Daqing's father's court. Duan Jiali was an active kid. And being an only child without a mother her father never stopped her from anything. Even though there were many servant at Official Duan's mansion, still the young madam never liked to be cared for by them. Her favourite times were all spent with her father.

Duan Jiali was at the right age to start education when she showed more interest in martial arts than in household works. She showed more interest in weaponry than in sewing. She would rather use the needle as a weapon. She was not like her peers. Soft and dolled up. She was fierce and aggressive at the right place. Thus not having any friends at all.

Finding out about this character of his daughter Official Duan decided to find a martial arts master to train her.

That is when the two first met. A seven years old boy was training under the master when a girl of same age came out in men's training attire and instantly found the flaw in the footwork of the boy. She has read a lot of books about martial arts and she was no stranger to the postures and skills, though lacking in the practical field.

But this angered the young seven years old prince. He was a prince. He had his own pride. How dare this boy find flaws in him?

But God had made other plans for them. Soon the boy found out the other boy he trains with was not a boy but a girl. Somehow they ended up together at the dowager empresse's palace sharing snacks though reluctant.

It was then or maybe later through constant companionship, they found a great friendship to cherish for a life. They decided on a nickname for each other. Jiajia for Duan Jiali. And Qingqing for Hong Daqing.

Only Duan Jiali was allowed to call the prince by his name. Only the little Jiajia was allowed to know all the little secrets of little Qingqing. They were inseparable. They knew eachother more than they knew themselves. Probably that is what triggered the old grandma of the prince to believe something pure was brewing between them.

Duan Jiali clearly remembers that one day when the prince's grandma asked her that question. Both the eighteen years olds were having snacks made by the grandma as usual.

"A-Li! Do you like my grandson? Would you marry him one day?"

She remembers clearly the face she made.

"No. Why would I marry him?"

But in her heart she always knew that this prince was never her. And at that moment she knew how this prince has already found someone they want to cherish.

She has pushed her hopes and feelings to the bottom most point of her heart and was happy with the job she was doing for the empire. The shadow guards she was training for the future emperor.

But on a cruel joke of fate she ended up with that exact person. Even though she knew how painful it was going to be, she still promised that person to protect their beloved.

And that same person was standing behind her with the same call from their childhood as if reminiscing the past once again. She couldn't answer to his call. She couldn't turn around. She was frozen in place.

She was the only person fierce enough to talk back to the prince but surprisingly, right now she couldn't utter a single word.

"Jiajia."

She stays still.

"Jiajia."

She could feel the nearly thirty years old prince inching closer to her.

"You too won't look at me? Am I that disgusting?"

She turns around swiftly. She couldn't avoid him anymore.

"What are you talking about, Wangye?"

The devastated face of the prince showed a lot of distress.

"Call me Qingqing. At least once."

And with all the sentiment held inside her heart she couldn't resist her prince at all.

"Qingqing."

They both knelt down holding each other's hands. Just like they used to play in their childhood.

"Jiajia."

"Qingqing. What's wrong?"

The prince who was not used to show a lot of emotions showed it bare on his face.

"Qingqing. Can you tell me? Like you used to when we were kids?"

The boy from the past was barely holding on. That little boy who never had to go through a lot of extreme emotions because he was loved by his mother, the empress. He was loved by his elder brother. He was loved by everyone in the palace. The purest being in the whole palace as his grandmother used to call him. That boy was suddenly back in the body of the twenty nine years old. And that boy needed love like he used to have. From his mother, his brother, his Shengsheng.

"Can you do me one last favour, Jiajia?"

The choice of words already unsettled the concubine but she complied by sqeezing the prince's hands and nodding.

"Would you find out who was behind the massacre of the Liu jia?"

She was shocked. Even now you ask me favours for Liu Changsheng? I know I was never in your heart. But it's still painful. She wanted to say all these to the devastated man in front of her and devastate him even more. Show him his mistakes. But all she did was smile through the tearing pain in her heart and nod.

"I will. Was there ever a time that I didn't?" But when the prince was going to pull her into his embrace she stopped him.

"I will do everything for you. I would die for you. But keep your promise, Wangye. You cannot hold me. You have kept your promise until now. Don't break it when he's back."

And then she left the room, leaving the prince alone.

Hello everyone!! Here's a new chapter!!

So, slowly the secrets are being revealed! So you'll get to know what happened all those years! Why Liu Changsheng had to die! And why is it this time the emperor has to die!

Everything in their life will change! So keep supporting them!! I'll be back in the next chapter with more revelations..
. And thus kove forward with the story towards a very surprising ending!

So enjoy!
All the love
C 💕

Also please don't forget to vote!! ⭐⭐