~FORTY-NINE~

"In the absence of the crown prince, and the abdiction of the second prince, the fourth prince, Xiang Wang Hong Daqing is being pronounced the crown prince, and will ascend the throne after his excellency the emperor steps down.

"According to the new law, the Xiang Wangfei, being the only spouse of Xiang Wang Hong Daqing, will be pronounced as the empress after the ascending.

"Due to absence of any heir, the Xiang Wang and the Xiang Wangfei are bestowed the power to choose a woman of their choice to be the mother of the future heir.

"This subject, the head eunuch of the emperor, thus read the emperor's edict to be followed if not changed any further."

Two kneeling men accepts the emperor's edict with respect and stands up from their bowing position.

They are Hong Daqing and Liu Changsheng.

Hong Daqing wanted to help his beloved very much because of the worry about his blindness. But he couldn't reveal about it just yet.

Liu Changsheng wanted it that way. He wanted his blindness to be hidden at least until the emperor's edict to announce him as the future emperor.

After coming back to their own residence the Wangye went to solve some issues in his study and the Wangfei went to the inner courtyard to some works.

After finishing his duty when Hong Daqing entered the inner courtyard a sweet smell of food lured him straight into the kitchen.

A lean male was busy adding ingredients to the pot shimmering delicacies on the oven. The sweet smell brewing the lunch for the day instantly got Hong Daqing hungry.

Seeing the wangye enter the kitchen the servants all retreated back outside on the wangye's gesture.

"Can you pass me the cardamoms?"

Listening to the husband's order the doting husband picked up a tray of spices and produced forward in front of the cooking Wangfei.

Just by smelling the spices on the tray Liu Changsheng could tell the silliness of his husband.

"These are not cardamoms, Wangye."

This surprising the husband even more.

"When did you know it was me?"

"Wangye! How long have we been married? How long have I been practicing secret weapons? On top of it all, I'm a blind man, Wangye. My senses are heightened. I can clearly smell the peony you always carry." He smiles.

The husband was stunned. But he didn't know why he was always stunned after coming to know his Wangfei's skills. Maybe he was just too in love with his Wangfei.

They had their lunch with Ying Lianying as a guest.

A happy time was spent talking and chatting with the old friend. The carefree woman was very much the same as she was. Sometimes listening to them talking to each other. Sometimes teasing the younger couple as if her life depended on it.

In the evening the two love birds spent their time sitting on the rooftop of the new courtyard enjoying a jar of butterfly wine.

Hong Daqing enthusiastically described the beauty of the night to his husband. And the husband curiously listens. As if he could see it clearly with his husband's eyes.

"The peony tree in the new courtyard has sprouted, Shengsheng."

"Did they now? I will go take a look tomorrow. I'm sure A-Hua and A-Long didn't even pay attention."

"Shengsheng. Aren't you a bit too harsh on them? They are but two children."

"Lao gong, they're going to be the guards of the future heirs. Don't you think I should be more cautious?"

"Okay okay. I get it. But Shengsheng, don't you think teaching them secret weapons at such a young age will ruin their childhood?"

Liu Changsheng didn't say anything. Even though he wanted to. He wanted to tell Hong Daqing how he's taking care of those two as his own. But there's no point. He knew that, like his own is not his own. He did put a wall around himself and treated them as tools. But what else could he have done? He is but a cautious man. Life made him that way. But he knew when they grow up they'll understand him. They will know his concerns. And they will protect the heirs. But right now that's not the concern.

"Shengsheng, who do you think we should choose to carry the heir?"

"I do have someone in my mind. I was asked to keep only this request of her."

"Is it who I think it is?" Hong Daqing had a general idea who can approach the Wangfei and make such a request and have it fulfilled by the Wangfei's approval.

"It is who you think it is."

The two went on with their night talking about this and that without any care about the world. One seeing the world with the other's eyes. And the other learning to understand it by the mind's eye.

Love was what bind them together. They weren't as pure as their grandma once wanted them to be. But they still were the most pure. Most loved and the most loving.

In the middle of court politics a love as so blooming in front of everyone was a rare sight to see. It wasn't a smooth journey for them. They had their own ups and downs. They had to go through trial of time to finally unite. But that didn't stop them from loving each other like nothing else mattered.

Liu Changsheng still didn't have the answer to who shattered his soul that day the bandits attacked the Liu house. But maybe he didn't want an answer anymore. Because in some way his soul being shattered gave him a second chance in life. A second chance in love. And above all this made him the future empress from a dethroned Wangfei.

Life never gives us options on how to react to a situation, it tests us every single moment to see how we handle life. But that doesn't mean we cannot enjoy it to the fullest. Actually, we must enjoy it to the fullest.

Just like the Xiang Wang and his Wangfei are doing.

They don't know what the future holds for them. But what they know is no matter what the future holds, they had each other.

Liu Changsheng once cursed the fourth prince to never be tamed by true love. But who knew that he'll be the one to be tamed!

Hello everyone! Here's a new chapter for you guys!!

So finally Liu Changsheng is going to be the empress... And Hong Daqing the emperor! What do you think?? Is the ending going good?? Is this what you expected?? Or is there something you don't like about this ending??

Let me know in the comments section about what you think....

I've got a good fanbase from this story!! I thank everyone for sticking till the end! I would love to have you guys support my next works, which is actually two works already with some chapters out... So keep supporting as we move forward to next week which will officially be the finale!

I can't wait for next week! And I hope you guys feel the same!

All the love
C 💕

Also please don't forget to vote!! ⭐⭐