Chapter 9: eyebags

Shoto Todoroki

The evening was quite unremarkable, paling in comparison to the excitement of the day beforehand. Waking up on the Friday morning, I felt strangely exhilarated. It felt good to be near the end of my first week of classes, plus I seemed to have made a fairly sizeable group of friends, I wasn't overthinking situations quite as often, and there is coffee on demand! I mean, what more could I possibly want?!

Bakugo.

Oh yeah. Him. Something just felt...special, about him. It was a weird thing to have to describe, given we'd only known each other for a few days, and I'd thought little of it at first, but it seemed to me like he treated me differently from everyone else, and I felt no shame in admitting that made me happy. I was a little disappointed not to receive any kind of message from him last night, but I put that down to us talking so much already that day.

In hindsight, I might've jumped the gun a little, giving away my number to him, and I never looked back to see his reaction, so I guess I'll find out later on what'll happen. For now though, it was time for a day at school.

Walking into class, I saw Shinso there, talking to the professor with a confused look on his face. He waved a greeting with a small smile, before turning his attention back to what his uncle was saying. God, I actually get a sense of pride whenever he's happy, as if he is a kitten I've nursed into becoming a tiger. I snapped back to reality, and turned my attention to Aizawa-sensei.

"Todoroki, it's just the morning class for you today, isn't it?"

"Yes, sir...." I said, curious what his point was

He continued, saying "well, in that case, you two should take the day off. Hitoshi, you've already finished this part of the course at your old university, as we've discussed, and I feel that you are adequately prepared to take a day to relax, Todoroki."

I looked at Shinso, and he seemed to be pretty happy. He might be excited at the chance to spend more time together, which would truly solidify my motherly role. Suddenly, a crazy idea popped into my head. An idea so crazy that any sane and stable person would think I needed locked away. Nevertheless, I decided to commit to it, judging all consequences worthy of the potential spectacle.

"Hey, Shinso?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you....fancy a coffee?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinso had hastily agreed, and we found ourselves approaching the little coffee shop, both as eager as each other to get inside, although perhaps for different reasons.

Opening the door, Shinso jumped ever so slightly at the ding!, which made me chuckle a little, and his subsequent glare at me only made me burst out laughing. Looking to the counter, I saw the blond boy that Bakugo had referred to as Pikachu in our previous encounters. What did Bakugo say his name was again... oh well, I guess he's just gonna be Pikachu. He smiled at me, clearly recognising me from our encounter earlier in the week. It's the hair, isn't it? is what I'd like to have thought, but instead I got it's the scar, isn't it? which naturally made me feel fucking wonderful and joyous.

However, he seemed to take a particular liking to Shinso, smiling incredibly wide at him. I looked over at Shinso, expecting to see his usual neutral expression, but instead saw.... oh my god he's blushing! Wait, no, it's couldn't be....

Approaching the counter, the boy looked back at me, saying "hello sirs, can I take your orders please?"

"Can I get an iced caramel frappé and a....Shinso? Shiiinsooooo~" I snapped my fingers in front of the boy's face, and for the first time since seeing the server, he averted his gaze from the floor beneath his feet.