Chapter 4

I was waiting to enter the Great Hall to get sort. We were all waiting quietly until a blond hair boy broke the silence.

"It's true then. What they said on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," the blond hair boy said. There were whispers coming from the other students.

The boy continued, "This is Crabbe, and this is Goyle. And my name's Malfoy, Draco Malfoy." He walked up to Harry with a smirk. Ron gave a laugh.

Draco scanned Ron and said, "Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and handy down robe. You must be a Weasley."

He looked back at Harry and said, "You'll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." He held out his hand to Harry, but Harry didn't take it. I rolled my eyes by what he said.

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks," he said, coolly.

I whispered to Ron and Harry, "He's a bit arrogant. He thinks that his family is better than others. He's probably a pure-blood."

"What did you say?" Draco asked me, giving me a glare.

"I said you are a bit arrogant," I repeated myself. I'm not afraid of him just because he is a pure-blood. I've met people like him before; thinking just because he or she is a pure-blood they think they could be rude to others, and they are better than others.

"Who are you? You're probably just a half-blood or worse a filthy little mudblood," Draco sneered. Crabbe and Goyle snickered. Other students gasped.

"So what? What if I am? You can't be rude to others just because you are a pureblood."

"How dare you talk back to me? Someone lowly like a mudblood or half-blood." He raised his hand, ready to slap me.

"What are you doing?" Professor McGonagall asked.

"Nothing just shaking her hand, Professor," Draco responded. He took out his hand.

"Is that right, Miss L/n?" she asked me.

"That's right," I said, forcing a smile and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Draco," I said sarcastically.

Professor McGonagall lead us into the Great Hall. The students watched us walk to a stool with a raggy black hat.

The hat broke into a song,

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall, For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,

If you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning, 

Will always find their kind

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Professor McGonagall was holding a long roll of parchment and unrolled it. She said, "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted."

"L/n, Y/n," Professor McGonagall called

I sat on the stool, and Professor McGonagall put the hat on my head.

A small voice coming from the sorting hat said, "Hmmm, it's Y/n E–"

"Could you not reveal who I am? I need to protect my nephew from harm from You-Know-Who," I said in a quiet voice. I didn't want to know that I'm not really a first year.

"Sorry. Sorry. Would you like to be in Slytherin, the same house you were in Hogwarts when were in Hogwarts? Or do you want to be in Gryffindor, the same house as your nephew?" the sorting hat asked.

"You choose. You know what's best. You are the sorting hat."

"Better be in..."