28. tracker

chapter twenty eight

tracker

(this is not proof read im sorry)

Mitch had been in this job long enough to know that the first twenty four hours were the most important. If Stan wasn't having other members of the CIA out looking for her because they were prioritising the codes, then it meant they were probably letting Angeline slip by like nothing. This was probably when the most clues would be dropped. When they were most likely to slip up.

As soon as the nurse had changed his bandages and given him some medication for the pain in his shoulder, he began to take action. Mitch was about to slip the IV out of his arm when the door reopened. He audibly groaned, rolling his eyes as he glanced over.

Irene Kennedy entered, ebony hair straightened to perfection as always, tall and intimidating, unafraid of the assassin in the hospital bed. She marched over and slammed a box down onto the bedside table beside him. Mitch refrained from reacting to it.

"What are these?" Irene demanded sternly.

Mitch's tongue darted out to wet his lips and then he glanced back up at Irene casually. "I would say that those were a box of condoms. Specifically designed for males. Also known as contraception -"

Irene bared her teeth as she slammed them back down even harder. "I know what condoms fucking are, Rapp. What were they doing in Angeline Lewis' bag?"

Mitch feigned confusion. "How am I supposed to fucking know? My job was to get her from A to B safely, which I fucking failed at by the way, not to search through her bag."

"Drop the tone with me," Irene seethed, "You're lucky I hid these from Stan. He would not have been impressed, Rapp. Now tell me - were you having a sexual relationship with Angeline Lewis?"

The dark haired man was thankful that he had perhaps one of the world's best poker faces. Nothing managed to slip past as Irene looked him in the eye, unblinking even for a split second.

"No," Mitch replied bluntly, "I wasn't. If you must know, Angeline and I didn't even get along. That being said, I still want her alive. So why the hell is Stan not sending out people to go and look for her?"

"He told you that she wrote the codes down in that little book, didn't he?" Irene dropped the previous conversation, stuffing the condoms away with a roll of the eyes - she knew she wasn't going to get anywhere with him.

Mitch Rapp was just as stubborn as he was a good liar. She would know  - she had been the one to recruit him in the first place. Back when he was merely just an angry nineteen year old who had watched his entire family be brutally murdered whilst on vacation.

"Yes, he told me that," Mitch huffed, "But that doesn't explain why we're suddenly abandoning her. Not when it had been so important for her to stay alive for the past two weeks."

"Mitch, your job was to protect the codes, not her. You knew that from the start," Irene reminded him bluntly. "Besides, it wouldn't have gone on for so long if she had just given the codes to you. She put the both of you in danger by refusing - it went on far longer than it had to. We're just lucky she decided to write them down for some reason. My guess is it was so that she wouldn't forget."

Mitch closed his eyes for a few moments. "She's still a human being. Is that not worth protecting?"

"She's one human being in comparison to the thousands, maybe millions, that will die if we don't get to those bombs in time, Rapp," Irene told him. "I'm sorry if it hurts to hear, but it's the truth."