C.10

Alexis was tired of playing games. For the past few weeks now, she was only at the first stage with Matthew: suggestive talking and friendly flirting. They were luckily able to do most of their code work together, but she didn't come to class just to listen to some boring lecture or do some pointless project.

There was something keeping him from loving her, she knew it. Every time she made an advance, he was day-dreaming about her, probably Joceline? She wasn't sure, mostly because there wasn't anything to even like about this Joceline! She was uninteresting as fuck, to say the least, at least from what she saw on his messages and in rumors.

This time, though, she had him cornered. They were alone at his place, with his roommate off in the province for their semester break. The place was way too shitty for someone like him, and she had half a mind to take him off to her place, free of charge.

They didn't do much in the apartment except talk while he made food, which was this sad instant-noodle soft-boiled egg combo that told her all she needed to know about his situation. He was maltreated here by that stupid roommate, and she was going to rescue him like a cute and innocent puppy.

Alexis sat patiently on the couch, eyeing up Matthew with an insatiable desire. Her eyes could only see, but her mind imagined all the things they could be, together. He was kind, sweet, if only a bit stupid and foolish outside of academics. The perfect partner...

"Food's ready." He served her a bowl of the sad excuse for food, then sat down next to her. Their hips bumped together, she felt it, if only for just a second. How could she contain such erotic and passionate energy for him? Wait, Alexis. Just wait. "I hope you like malasado with noodles."

"I..." She smelled the food, confused by the smells she got. "Love it. But... I'm not hungry." She set her bowl down, now trying to cute herself up. She purposefully picked this rather small skirt, wore this rather tight jacket, and tied her hair up the way he always gave her side glances with.

Her eyes tried to find a topic of interest somewhere in the room. That was when she found herself looking at a watercolor painting by the bed, pinned to the wall with a tape. It was a starlit sky, like the ones they had on wallpapers where the whole galaxy was there. "Ooh, you paint?"

He looked over at the painting. "Uhm, no, I don't. That's Joceline's painting."

"Joceline's?" The itch, the pain. It was her, her! The sky! It was Joceline that got in the way of Matthew falling for her! And she was his roommate?! "Right... Well, what do you want to do now?"

"Well..." He ate a bit of his noodles. He looked so cute with such puffy cheeks, and his swallow... mmh! "What do you want to do?"

Her moment. "I mean... I wanna play with you, y'know?" She winked at him.

He looked at her with that stupefied look he always gave her when he was day-dreaming. He better have been day-dreaming of her! "Uhm... what game? I got cards, some hotseat games... uh..."

"Silly." She bit her lip, her eyes falling down to his lap. "Play, with that."

As soon as Matthew looked down, a knock came on the door. "Oh, let me, uh, answer that."

He stood up, and Alexis knew that he had gotten the message now. She watched him with an affixed obsession as he opened the door and—

"Celine!" Matthew pushed the door open more as that fucker showed her face. "I thought you were uh... going to the province?"

"Plans cancelled," she said glumly, now noticing Alexis by the couch. "Oh... Hi... Alex, right?"

"Hi, Joceline." Alexis kept her rage down. Her one chance to finally make him her own, ruined by this damned stupid fucking idiot!

"Is she uh..." She looked back at Matthew. "Is she staying?"

"No, I'm not." Alexis got up, moving to the door now and purposefully bumping into Matthew. "You know," she said to Matthew. " I have a spare bed at my place. You could crash there any time if you want, for as long as you want, hihihi."

"Noted," said Matthew, stepping aside as Joceline now walked in. "Uhm... so, yeah, seeya Alexis."

She didn't know whether it was rejection or consideration, but whatever it was, she hated it. Any amount of hesitation meant that he didn't see her as his! Or maybe that someone in the way was messing his mind up? Fucking Joceline! "Alright, goodnight lovey-dovey."

She closed the door behind herself. At that point, Matthew held his breath, signalling for Joceline to be quiet as he listened for the footsteps.

When Alexis' footsteps went away, he looked outside to see if she was still there. She wasn't. Matthew quickly closed and locked the door, breathing heavily as he looked at Joceline.

"What was she doing here?" asked Joceline, raising her brow.

"She came, suddenly, and I... I..." He wiped at his brow. "She wanted to fuck me, like, actually. If you didn't come around..."

"Woh woh woh, what?" Joceline tried to contain her laughter, and failed. "I... you? Having sex?"

Matthew snickered. "I know, right?"

"So... are you actually moving out with her?"

Matthew shook his head. "And leave you here by your lonesome, with nobody to drive you insane?" He considered it for a second, but Abrenica's voice came subtly to shove that thought aside. He was loyal to her, and only her... right? "I'll pass."