𝒊𝒊𝒊. 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒉𝒖𝒏𝒕

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: 𝐀𝐫𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐛𝐲 𝐔𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐕𝐮𝐥𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐞

......

"Mother, enough!"

A choked cry escaped my lips as my hip collided with the hard floor. Pain shot through my side, throbbing, and I closed my eyes tightly.

"No," I muttered, but it was more a plea than defiance.

My eyes flew open as a hand gripped the back of my hair, yanking me to my feet. I stared into Mileva's cold, hatred-filled eyes, trying to keep my face neutral despite the agony racking my body.

I will not cry.

"She needs to learn her place," Mileva gritted out.

"I think she's learned enough," Saige said, frowning at me.

"She's right," Thea called out, her eyes glinting with a smirk. "She needs to be able to complete her duties."

Mileva let go of me, and I crumpled to the ground, biting back a cry as my hip took the brunt of the fall against the marble floor.

"I do not want to have to teach this lesson again, Carena," Mileva warned.

"Yes, my lady," I replied softly, keeping the tremble out of my voice.

"Good."

I remained still, listening to the fading sound of footsteps on the marble floor. As the door shut, a single tear rolled down my cheek. I sank to the floor, resting my cheek against the cold surface. The lessons never lasted long, but they always left my body covered in bruises and sometimes broken ribs. Usually, I could hide everything from Wren and those around me, but this lesson was worse.

A bruise was already forming on my ribs, and when I took a deep breath, sharp pain radiated through my side.

A sniffle reached my ears, and I lifted my gaze as the door that connected my room to the small spare in the back opened.

"I'm okay, little one," I breathed.

Wren tiptoed to me, her eyes filled with sadness and fear, making my heart ache. I never wanted Wren to know or even witness the lessons that Lady Mileva gave me. I tried to shield her from the lady's cruelty that I had endured since my mother died.

"Why is she so cruel?" Wren cried.

I didn't know how to answer her when I didn't know the answer myself.

Instead, I said, "There are those who do things for reasons we cannot even fathom to understand."

"She was supposed to hurt me," Wren said, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I ruined Thea's gown."