𝒊. 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐆: 𝐑𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐛𝐲 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐒𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

......

A brisk morning brushed against my face as I opened my window to see the first golden rays of the rising sun. I could hear birds chirping throughout the early morning as I rested my arms on the gray ledge, enjoying my little morning before getting the Vestalis ready.

A fluttering of blue wings appeared before my gray eyes, and I blinked in surprise, leaning back. I watched as a bluebird perched on my windowsill.

I smiled lightly as the bird hopped towards me. "Good morning, friend."

I laughed and held my hand out, and the bird jumped onto my two fingers.

"I believe this is what you're searching for," I mused, moving a white brick and reaching into the slit in the wall, revealing a velvet pouch.

I set my hand down, and the bird could hop off while I opened the pouch and dropped some seeds onto the ledge. The bird pecks at them, and I gaze into the rising sun. A few morning stragglers were walking out of their homes.

I sighed, pushing off the windowsill and looking down at the bluebird. "I got to go, friend. I'll see you tomorrow."

The bluebird's wings rustled and took off into flight, fluttering away from my window.

I grabbed the tiny silver knob on the window and pulled it closed with a soft click. I turned and dropped to my knees by the chest at the foot of my bed. I lifted it, ignoring the creaking noise it made. I removed the aprons and spare dresses as a small silver box appeared at the bottom.

I gripped it tightly, afraid that it would disappear, and rubbed my fingers over the black dragons in obsidian etched on the top. I set it beside me, pushing the memories to the deepest part of my mind. I leaned back as a silver chain with a black dragon with sapphire eyes stared back at me.

I grabbed the black dragon and placed it on the box, turning it until I heard a faint click. I pulled the box open and clasped the necklace around my neck.

I didn't have much time as I reached inside, and my hands connected with a rough, almost stone-like texture before pulling it out.

I stared at the gold like molten metal reflected against the rising sun and held the one thing that would get me killed by the King.

A dragon egg.

I placed a delicate hand on the egg, rubbing soothing circles on its rough exterior.

Uther killed all the dragons years ago during The Great Purge as he extradited all aspects of magic, the good and evil. I knew he could execute me for having a dragon egg but couldn't seem to part with it.