Chapter 3

You stumbled through the hallway. Tugging on the thrifted camera you had gotten lucky enough to get ahold of. It was old and worn; you'd be surprised if it worked. It was a digital camera and you'd just had to hope you didn't waste $25 on it.
    You pulled out the bag that you had tucked under your pillow and made sure to check its contents. Your cash and books were just where you left them. You dug around pilling the pouch of coins and some jewelry that you had swiped from your mother's jewelers box. You tucked the camera into the bag.
    You put on an army green jacket that you had found in a donation box. It had no holes and only was a bit worn on the elbows and a bit on the shoulders. It was warm and that was more than enough in the cool spring mornings.
    There was nothing else of value you had; you grabbed your bag and left. You took your bag of things and left. You knew of a library nearby. It was near the Pokémon gym. You had seen it on your way to find a place to stay the night.
    Walking through the city in the day wasn't better than at night. All the people had left you overwhelmed and spooked. The crowds were too big; you hadn't been around this many people since you were a little kid. That was years ago now.
    You stroked your fingers lightly around the venipede that was clinging onto your bag. He looked up at you briefly making a happy chirp to hopefully calm you down. It didn't work but it was the thought that counted you suppose.
    The little venipede had visited you after attacking you as a child. It had found you hiding in the woods from some bullies. It recognized you but you hadn't, not until after it attacked the bullies who had found their way through the fence after you. You set out together and he's been your only constant ever since. 
    The sounds of the city were louder than your old smaller town. However, you were never really in it enough to know how big it was. Across this city, you were overwhelmed with all the stuff. You ducked into convenience stores and your mind practically just combusted.
    Walls were lined with bottles, aisles filled to the brim and overflowing with sweets. You didn't even know how to feel when someone had handed you a small bag of... something?
    The flavor was sweet. It burst at the seams with sugar. Just a bite made your jaw lock up. It made you feel sick at first but it tasted good. You'd never had it before. Sweet fluffy and pale pink color. In the center was a berry-flavored jell. It was strange, bizarre, and something you'd never tried before. You liked it more than you thought you would. Some things you could get used to.

    Sitting on the curb out front of the library; you flipped through a book. You'd picked up another book, this one on the local mushrooms. You'd encountered some new ones when gathering something to eat the other day. You also picked out a book on edible plants in cities and towns.

    You hoped that such a book would help you not have to wander in search of food too often. You had yet to start brainstorming plans for the winter months. It was still far off but you still worried. You had fears of slowly starving but you supposed you could make a list of homeless shelters in the area.

    You were shaken to the core by Venipede making a hissing sound. You only caught a glimpse of them shaking and trying to appear bigger. The next was you getting pushed and rammed into with a high amount of force. You gasped and crashed to the ground.

    It burned. Your eyes were watering, your books were across the ground, and your venipede stood on your bag. It turned in circles hissing and screeching. It stayed next to your side looking over you but watching your attacker.

    You pushed yourself up, your arm collapsing under the pressure and weight of yourself. You hissed in pain. It felt like a stab to your shoulder. Your arm felt like it was burning.

    Another venipede. It circled you and your venipede. You had no idea what was going on. You had no true understanding of Pokemon. Besides this was the city! Most if not all of the pokemon here are some trainer's partner, had a job, or were a housepet!