Episode 41 of 62

This is an ongoing story. If it's your first time reading the novel I suggest you start from Episode 1. If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there.

 If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there

Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 41 of 62)
Chapter Fifteen: The Demon of Fear
(Part 2 of 3)

The Demon of Fear grabbed Daniel's sword and swung with the intention of severing Daniel's head from the rest of his body. However, Daniel's sword wasn't sharp and when he tried to remove the head, the assassin realized the sword hadn't cut all the way through the neck. He leaned on Danie's shoulders and pulled the head with both his hands, ripping it free from his neck.

"Oh, that's disgusting," Robert revolted at the sound of flesh being torn apart. "I'm standing right here; you don't need to present Daniel's head. His dead body in the snow will suffice. It's only Edward's head I'll want to see."

Griffin felt a burst of exhilaration for he knew what was about to follow. The assassin had formed a wicked smile of twisted pleasure as he walked to the porch and stood before Robert, Daniel's head in his right hand and the sword in his left.

"You really are a sick bastard, aren't you? You enjoy killing people."

"No, not really," the assassin replied and even Griffin was surprised to hear that. "What I really enjoy are the moments leading up to a kill, the thrill I get from the hunt. The look of fear on the unsuspecting victim's face before the final blow," he raised Daniel's head to Robert's face.

"If you say so," Robert covered his nose to block out the smell of blood. "Your gold is in that horse's saddle as you requested. I will give you double that amount when you deliver Edward's head."

The assassin dropped Daniel's head on Robert's boots.

Robert looked down and jumped back in disgust. "What the hell is wrong--"

The Demon of Fear grabbed Robert by the face with an open palm and slammed his head on the wooden wall. Robert's head cracked open like a watermelon and his brains and blood splattered across the wall. The Demon of Fear held Robert's head firmly against the wall and used the blade on his forearm to sever the head, allowing the weight of the body to help separate them as it pulled down.

"I'm sorry, Robert," the Demon of Fear said as he kept cutting into Robert's neck, "But it seems you and Edward hired the same assassin. He offered me more gold, so I agreed to kill you all for him. I need your head as proof of your death. I'm sure you understand."

The Demon of Fear walked back inside the house and took back his brown leather bags. He used one of them to put Robert and Daniel's heads in and tied it to his saddle. He then took the time to dig nine graves. He worked for hours in the darkest and coldest night until he finished burying all the bodies of the men he had beheaded.