16 | Sam

My bowl of hot cereal was probably super annoyed with me pushing it around with a spoon. Dylan and Brodie weren't present at breakfast. They were probably setting their plan to get Sam in motion. Lawrence had stopped by for an orange before going to the library to start on the second part of his English project. That left me with Reeve and Will.

Will cleared his throat. "You weren't around last night. What's up?" It took me a moment to catch he was talking to Reeve and not me.

"Ah yeah. Sorry, my dad called so that lasted a minute." He rubbed the back of his neck and I saw his ears turn red.

I wanted to say something to Will, to explain myself, to take back my words. The fragile thread of a relationship we had been cut, and I was the one holding the scissors.

A storm raged outside canceling all chores till further notice. I was glad, too. There was no way Will and I would be able to work together like this. I wish Dylan and Brodie would hurry up so they could smother this tension with a distraction. It wasn't fair of me to classify Sam as a distraction—I know. From what I'd heard she was a very lovely girl and I was truly excited to put a face to the name.

Reeve's eyes went wide. "What the blood—?"

I turned to the door to see what he was gawking at. In the doorway stood Dylan doing some kind of mating dance—no—he was trying to get our attention. Will covered his face with his hands, Reeve choked back a laugh.

"What are we going to do with him?" Reeve asked taking his napkin off his lap and standing, jade eyes shimmering with anticipation for the mischief to come.

"Maybe Sam will take him," Will joked, standing up too. Reeve and him exchanged a smirk and for a second it was just them. Two best friends that had nothing to do with me yet.

Reeve answered, "Brodie would be so very sad if we took his soulmate away like that." We all laughed as we made our way to the door. Dylan had stopped his awful attention grabber. Well, I guess it wasn't that terrible if it got our attention, but it probably got everyone else's attention too.

In the hallway, Dylan was practically floating with excitement. His bronze skin was glowing, his dark eyes were sparkling, his perfect eyelashes fluttering every so often. There was definitely a pep in his step today despite the fact he was drenched.

Will smirked with his hands in his pockets. "What's up, lover boy?" His reading glasses rested on the top of his fluffy caramel hair.

"Your plan seemed to go smoothly," Reeve teased. Dylan's stupidly happy smile never diminished. He bounced on the balls of his feet.

"Let's go see Sam," Will pushed. "It's obvious that's what we're waiting for."

Dylan nodded excitedly and gestured for us to follow him towards the dorms. "Hopefully the storm will break so we can do something outside. Inside we have a higher risk of getting caught by Bailey or even Lawr."

We followed him up the stairs and down the hall. My skin pricked with anticipation with every step I took. There was a girl in school. In our school on a day where visitation wasn't permitted. It wasn't that I wasn't looking forward to a day of fun, it was that Dylan was happy, and that seemed to make everyone else happy and if anything happened that would all be over.

Dylan opened his bedroom door for us to go ahead of him. Brodie sat at presumably Dylan's desk. He was slouched and his arms were crossed. My eyes traveled around the room that I had never been in before. It was the exact same as Reeve's and mine except flipped and where my bed was a bunk bed. On the bottom bunk sat a girl with fiery red hair made even brighter against her pale freckled skin, and black eyes. She sat in her St. Swithun's uniform with her hands in her lap and her beautiful tight curls held back by a headband.