18 - Carpe diem

"Welcome back everyone. I trust you are all pleased this assignment is finally coming to an end." Mr. Nelson readjusted his thick glasses as he took a seat behind his desk and made eye contact with my group. "I've missed you boys in detention, though, I'm not supporting the indulgence in the activity."

People snigger, people yawn, people don't acknowledge, Mr. Nelson just smiles. Truthfully I couldn't fathom this was it. Months. Who in their right mind assigned an assignment that lasted months? I partially felt the closeness of freedom. I'd turn in this paper and soon exams would be held and then that was it. Home for the holidays. But there was also the knife of dread stabbing me in the back. To reach the end of the semester I would have to read this final paper. This paper of Will.

Mr. Nelson cleared his throat as he shuffled through his paper-covered desk. "Let's see," I find the paper he was rummaging for, "ah! Let's begin with . . . John Dunalley. Would you retrieve your final paper, John, and step to the front, please."

John stood to read of Neil, then Roger about Edmund, the Lenny of Christopher, Edward of Erik, Theodore of Dylan, Cane of Lenny, Dylan of Brodie, Brodie about Edward, Reeve of John, Lawrence of Reeve, and so on.

Words were exchanged beautifully. The authors declared feelings of belonging and friendship and comfort. Brotherhood and respect. Dreams and hopes. Frankly, I was in shock. I would never have expected such depth in what I had formerly interpreted as a school of shallow wankers. Now here I was—sitting on the edge of my seat—for every conclusion to every paper. Even Lawrence's.

In the moments of listening to others, I was overcome with doubt. This was not a new feeling towards me, but it had a new reason to be there. I was doubting my paper. Will meant everything to me in my secret way. But he let me cling alone as I was swept away time and time again in a mix of emotions.

I wanted this paper to be about a friend. I wanted this paper to be of the brotherhood and friendship I had found here at Winchester with my brothers.

"Beau? Would you please step forward with your paper?" Mr. Nelson motioned to the front of the room.

At the front of the room, a see of eyes watched me back. I saw Reeve's selflessness, Brodie's loyalty, and Dylan's wonder. I saw Will's leadership and Lawr's desperate need to be it all. As I looked at my paper I realized I couldn't read this. I wasn't ready—the world wasn't ready.

I opened my mouth to speak when a knock came on the classrooms door. It opened and headmaster Bailey waltzed in.

"Please excuse the interruption, Mr. Nelson, but I've come to retrieve Mr. Evans." His next sentence was addressed to Reeve as he stood with his things. "Your father is here." Reeve smiled and nodded and followed Bailey out the door.

"You may proceed, Beau."

I looked down at my paper. No this was not what I wanted to read. This was not what I wanted to turn in. It only reflected how I felt about one person when in reality my heart held many.

"I received William Fletcher for my paper, but no matter how I tried to write it, I kept straying. Others wrote of friendship and comfort. And while Fletcher has definitely shown me that and more, there is an obvious line of people behind him who have given me the same. I couldn't have gotten this far without any of them.

"I met Reeve first, he's my roommate. But only moments after he introduced me to Fletcher. He was instantly welcoming and accepting. I'm—I've never been great with getting words out, or talking to people, or making friends for that matter. Fletcher made it easy—after I'd gotten over—everything.

"He's kind and I know this all sounds basic but he's become very important to me. And the fact that I got him for the final part of this assignment is a bizarre occurrence," I force a laugh, "Fletcher has been one of the best things that has happened to me since coming to Winchester. . . ."