25 | What the Heart Wants

The wood floor creaked beneath my feet as I entered Beau's room the next morning. My face was still burning from the awkward family dinner the night before. The first night in and my boyfriend was already subjected to a horrific family dinner. I know our family wasn't the most dysfunctional thing out there but we were in some category for dysfunction.

I closed the bedroom door and tiptoed to the slumbering form of Reeve on the floor. When I drew near I got on my knees to be lower and quieter so I wouldn't wake Beau. He was so sound and so at peace. Seeing him this way almost made me forget about his shitty daddy issues and the fading bruises that were almost completely invisible, especially in the poor morning light.

I reached for his shoulder to wake him. I've hardly touched him before Reeve gives a violent jerk and I'm retracting my hand. His hands have drawn up to his face, his knees to his chest, his big ears are red, and o hear his breathing change. His wide eyes look around a moment before he realizes it's just me and slowly relaxes. He rolls to his back and gives a loud sigh as he scrubs the remaining sleep from his face before grabbing my hand a squeezing it.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, "I didn't think. . . ."

Reeve shakes his head; his head lulling towards me. He gives my hand a squeeze and smiles. After all, he's been through I don't know whether to be impressed or worried that he can put such a mask on.

"It's not your fault. I was just startled is all." He rubs his thumb over my knuckles in a soothing circular strokes. "Is something wrong? I was kind of hoping to hoping to be able to sleep in this winter break. We still have a schedule at Winchester even on holidays."

I didn't think of that. Of course, he needed his rest. I was just beyond elated that he was staying with us for the break and that we could hang out without sneaking around campus.

"I—I'm sorry. Yes, of course, you want to sleep in. Forgive me and I'll just be on my way."

Reeve gives a soft chuckle as he lifts himself to a propped position on his elbows. "Rylie, I was teasing you. I'd take any amount of time with you oversleep." My heart flutters and the leftover heat in my face return to a somewhat normal temperature.

"I came to ask you if you wanted to go . . . out?" I squint my eyes and purse my lips, letting the question linger.

Reeve smirks, his chestnut hair a raging mess. But it's cute. He's cute. "Rylie Mitchell, are you asking me on a date?" He gives me a self-satisfied smirk. I think he's letting the title of boyfriend go to his head.

I shrug and sit back. "Or you could stay here with my parents. I'm sure my father would love to get to know you better."

Reeve nods. "I'd have Beau to keep me company," he countered.

"No you won't," said a groggy voice from the bed. My heart practically jumps from my chest when Beau speaks.

"Fuck, Beau! How long have you been listening?" I say with a shaky voice.

Beau sits up. His eyes are squinted and probably crusted close. His raven black hair is atrocious, sticking up and pressed up in all directions. "The whole time, against my will. But I wasn't going to say anything because unlike Reeve who is whipped as fuck, I can and will be sleeping in. So if you too could stop giggling at each other on my bedroom floor and get on with your date elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated."

"Good morning," Reeve laughed as he stood up, helping me up.

Beau flops back down. "Yeah, yeah. Take care of my sister."

Reeve looked at me with so much affection and gave my hand one last squeeze before letting go of it. "I will."

~•~•~•~