1 | A New Beginning

Lying in bed wasn't making the day go any slower. It was somehow bringing the inevitable closer at a faster speed. I couldn't see well without my glasses, but judging by the creeping shadows, I'd say it was almost time to get up and face the day.

I wasn't particularly pleased with that fact. I'd have to put on that itchy polyester uniform, and then I'd have to do it almost every day for the next two years.

I still didn't understand why I was being sent away now. I've never been sent to a boarding school in my life, much less a separate school than my sister. My parents claimed this would build my character. Hopefully, force me out of my comfort zone. Just enough to build some independence before university. They made it sound so straightforward, but what they didn't understand was I was fine with how I was.

There was a knock at my door. I made no move to answer it. "Up and at 'em, Beau. Big day today!" My father's voice slowly disappeared leaving me to only further dread today.

I finally got out of bed, turning my light on and immediately regretting it. The blinding light caused me to stumble back into my door. "Shit," I whisper yelled to myself as the handle of the door jabbed me in the side. Rubbing my side and blinking a few times stopped the burning in both places.

Just my luck. Starting the day off with my clumsy ass getting hurt.

Once I was standing again I moved to make my bed. I pulled my pajamas off—discarding them in my hamper—and taking my new Winchester uniform out of the closet. I put my white polo on before pulling the grey slacks on. I tucked the polo in and looped a black leather belt in. After I buckled that, I grabbed the tie that was navy blue for the school and a dark grey blazer. I grabbed my bag of allowed personal belongings and left my room.

Downstairs mum was already put together for the day. My mother is a very pretty woman. Some would just say she was lucky to have features that didn't crash, but I wasn't like those people. I saw the beauty mum had gotten wasn't luck, it had to have been a gift from God himself. How else could you explain the soft tan skin, the hazel eyes, or the caramel hair? It was as if someone had a paint palette right in front of them when they created her.

Then there was my sister, Riley.

Riley was my favorite person in the world, but she was not as . . . elegant as mum. Riley was currently attempting to stay awake whilst eating a bowl of cereal.

When I was fully in the kitchen mum looked up with a brilliant smile. "Good morning, dear. Breakfast?" I shook my head. "Excited for today?"

Before I could answer, Riley decided to be awake and present. She laughed. "Yeah right. Sending for a pansy son to an all-boys school gets him excited. He couldn't survive a day even if he tried. Have you seen him try to have a conversation with anyone before?"

Yeah. That was my favorite person right there. Just as loving and thoughtful as ever.

Mum wasn't as welcoming to Riley speaking for me. "Riley, you have a milk mustache. Go get ready for the orientation. Then you're off to your school. Some finishing will do that mouth if yours some good. The whole point of this separation of you two is so Beau gets some independence."

Riley stood up and walked to me. "I see no problem with being with my beloved brother our whole lives." She put plenty of sarcasm into beloved. "He needs me." She kissed my cheek before going to her room to get ready. I chuckled, whipping the milk off my cheek.

Mum had her hands in my hair trying to tame it almost right away. "For heaven's sake, Beau, don't you want to make a good first impression."

"I was going for more of a no impression hopefully."