22 | And then they were gone

Lawr, Dylan, and I carried our bags up to our assigned dorms with the dress and knowledge of being split up. I was only across the hall but I'd be rooming with two older boys that were complete strangers. it was my own fault really. I had done everything in my power to make sure Lawr and I weren't roommates. I already had to deal with him at home, I didn't need to deal with him at school too.

the dorms were simple with two to three beds, nightstands for each bed, a desk and chair for each boy, and a wardrobe for each. our rooms were a little bigger because they housed three boys which I guess was nice.

we opened the door to Dylan and lawr's room first to find a boy with reading glasses on the single bed to the left. he was reading a book, dressed in his uniform. his side of the room looked like it had been lived in for years. an assortment of papers covered his wall, books were stacked, clothes were askew.

the door creaked as it opened and the boy looked up, smiled, and put his book down. he took off his slightly too-large reading glasses and gave a lopsided smile. damn, it was a nice smile. his caramel hair was combed perfectly, his blue eyes were glowing with wonder, and the bridge of his nose was dusted with freckles. he looked gangly so it was safe to assume he was tall.

"hi!" he started as he stood up and put his hand out, "I'm William fletcher, but everyone calls me fletcher."

Dylan took fletchers hand first. "Dylan madden."

"Lawrence lewis, a pleasure," lawr chimed as he shook Dylan's hand. damn. could this fucking kid chill out? he was fucking ten! a pleasure.

Fletcher held out his hand to me. "Brodie turner."

fletchers smirk adulterers a little as he let go of my hand. "I was under the impression I'd be getting a pair of brothers for roommates. did—?"

Dylan set his bag down by an empty desk. "Brodie and lawr are stepbrothers, but Brodie will be staying across the hall. as for brothers, you get lawr and me." Dylan finishes by taking law's bag and putting an arm around his shoulders. I'm silent as I stand there still holding my bag.

fletcher perks up again and turns to me. "oh you're the and drew's, new roommate? you're going to love them! very welcoming people. they've been here for as long as I have."

"how longs that?" lawr asks looking very comfortable under Dylan's arm.

fletcher makes a face to give the impression he's thinking about the answer, but I'm sure he knew off the top of his head. his side of the room didn't get that way overnight. "since I was old enough for schooling. I was only supposed to attend later in use for finishing school, but then my grandparents got custody over me and sent me here as soon as possible. I don't blame them. it's nice here and they're old."

I nod. "well, I should probably—"

"oh yes of course!" fletcher cries. "it was a pleasure meeting you, Brodie. I'm sure we'll see each other around."

I nod and step back out of the room, closing the door. I knock on the dark door across the hall before entering. the old, heavy door isn't as loud as the previous one, but it still makes enough noise to get my roommate's attention.

one boy, a rounder boy with short blond hair and hazel eyes, is lying on the top bunk. he's ricocheting a small rubber ball off the top of his dresser and the wall back to his hands. the other boy sitting at a desk scribbling away at some assignment. when the door opens and he turns I can see he's Asian with short-cropped hair hanging on his forehead a bit, he's got dark squinty eyes, and cream skin. they both smile, the one on the bed moving to the ladder and the one at the desk standing up.

the Asian boy is closer to me and extends his hand for a shake. "you must be Brodie?" I nod as we shake hands. "brilliant. I'm Theodore, but you can call me theo if you'd like."