02 | approached

AN:
Hi, guys, I'm sorry for the delay. I had to take some time off because I was mentally and physically drained. I hope you guys are safe and healthy wherever you are. The covid case in my area is really bad, even my brother was infected.

Anyways, I hope you'll enjoy this second chapter.

***

Captivated

Captivated. Yes, that's the word. The live music is so good that one song isn't enough. Before I know it, I'm already listening to the band's third song.

The vocalist's voice is low and raspy, but it sounds so soothing in my ears -- I don't know if that makes sense.

"Hey, blondie." A voice snaps me out of my daze, and when I turn toward the source of it, my eyes land on a stranger sitting next to me.

A man with messy light brown hair smirks at me, staring at me with a look that makes me shudder.

"You're alone here, eh?" He squints at me, dragging his chair so that he can sit closer to me, and I automatically retreat. "What's your name, pretty girl? I'll buy you a drink." He winks, and my stomach churns. What a flirt.

"No, thanks," I decline politely, shifting my attention back to the band and hoping that he'll get the idea that I'm not interested.

"Come on." He scoffs, leaning even closer to me so that I have no choice but to drag my chair away from him. "It's not fun to be alone in this kind of place. You need some company, and I can be that for the whole night. I'll leave you satisfied in the morning."

Ugh. That's gross. I feel like I want to gag. I can't enjoy the music anymore because of this pervert. Should I just go home as I planned before? But I was just starting to have a great time.

"You look young," he keeps going. "Are you still in high school?"

Yes, but I'll go to college soon this year. It's about time that I learn how to protect myself from guys like you.

When the band finishes their third song, a sigh of desperation leaves my lips.

"Come on." The man beside me is still persistent. "I'm bored." His voice is hoarse and filled with lust. "Let's have some fun--"

"Hey, stay away from her," the vocalist suddenly says, making my eyes widen. He throws a cold stare toward the man next to me. "That's my girlfriend over there."

My jaw drops.

My girlfriend?

Whatever his idea is, it works, because all the attention in the room is now on this table. The vocalist doesn't stop his intimidating stare while people start to boo at the man, making him look like the most pathetic person in the world.

"Shit," the man curses as his face turns red because of the embarrassment. He finally walks away, and I sigh in relief.

The vocalist's eyes soften as our gazes meet again, but then he looks away, starting the next song. My heart is beating fast when I feel people's gazes still lingering on me.

They are studying me, probably wondering how I am his girlfriend. They don't know that he was just trying to save me.

My cheeks heat up, and the air is suddenly getting hot. I can't even look at the band anymore. Maybe it's my cue to leave.

But I can't do that, and I have two reasons for that.

1. I think the fourth song is even better than the previous ones. I can't stop listening to it.

2. If I, the girlfriend, grab my things and leave just like that after the vocalist stood up for me in front of everyone, that will make him look dumb.

And so I wait until the band finishes performing, and by the end of it, I've finished my iced lychee tea. God, I feel dehydrated -- my throat feels so dry.

The crowds give a round of applause for the band. After the members pack their instruments up, a man who looks like the manager of the bar gives the vocalist a quick man-hug and the lead guitarist an arm wrestle handshake.

When the vocalist's gaze returns to me, I hold my breath. He approaches me and sits at my table but still maintains a safe distance, unlike the man who flirted with me just now.

"You were in trouble," he starts, his eyes glinting with amusement. Now that I look closer, I can see how enchanting those blue eyes are.

And now that he crosses his arms on the table, I spot his tattoo reaching up to his wrist from under the long sleeves of his black leather jacket. He must have tattoos too all over his arms, but they're hidden under his jacket.

"As you noticed," I second his statement, looking away. I feel like slurping my iced lychee tea again to ease the tension in my body, but unfortunately, there's nothing left inside the glass.

"What's a girl like you doing here?" he asks in an unjudgemental tone, more like casually. I look at him again, and damn, every time my eyes land on him, I can only admit how handsome he is.

With that look and his voice, he can be the next superstar. He has the whole package.

"What do you mean?" I shrug. "This is a public place, and I was just looking for a place to chill."

Surprisingly, he chuckles. "Don't you know what kind of place we're in? It's not safe for a girl like you."

My eyebrows furrow, and I look around, only to find that the other girls in the room are mostly occupied, making out with multiple guys. I feel goosebumps appear on my skin.

When I return my gaze to the vocalist, he's still staring at me. I swallow, wondering about what I should say to him. Maybe I should thank him for saving me.

"I'm Cal," he says, offering his hand for a handshake, and I accept it.

I feel electricity surge through my skin when our skin touches. His hand is so big compared to mine, and warm, or maybe it's mine that's too cold.

"I'm Amelia," I smile, but then add, "Mia."

Even though Amelia is my first name, I'm used to people calling me Mia. That's what my family calls me. All my friends call me Mia too.

When we finish the handshake, I feel a slight loss as well as relief.

"Cal!" The lead guitarist calls him from the bottom of the stage that Cal turns his head toward them. The rest of the band members scrutinize us.

They look like they're going to have some kind of wrap-up or talk about their next gig.

Cal turns to me again and smirks. "Nice to meet you, Amy." And with that said, he walks off.