Chapter 8

Everyone was scurrying about, trying to get everything ready for when the Elders arrived. Seeing an opening, Auria motioned for Jace to follow her. She left the room where all the others were preparing, Jace right behind her and entered one of the neighboring classrooms.

"You were right." Auria staded as soon as the door closed behind them. "You'll have to give me more than that Auria, what was I right about?" Jace asked. "You were right about Alex, he shares the same blood as the Ancient One's once did." She elaborated.

"And you know this how?" Jace asked. "The Elders confirmed it. They didn't say it outright, but I've known them long enough to know what they aren't saying. He definitely has Ancient blood." Jace started to pace up and down.

"He can't know. Not yet. He'll try to pursue it and we both know he's not ready for it yet." Jace said. "Jace, are you sure we should be keeping this a secret from him? It's his birthright, we have to tell him." Auria responded. "Alright, well tell him. But let's do it after the mission. He needs to have a clear head for this to work."

"Agreed. You'll tell him after the mission." Auria said. "Me? Why me?" Jace asked. "Because you were the one who came to me with your initial suspicions about it. Plus, your his Guardian and fiancée." Auria explained. "Fine. You win. I'll tell him." Jace said in defeat. "Come now, we best get back to the preparations."

As they reentered the room where Alex and the others were making preparations, Jace noticed that Alex was severely anxious. He went over to him and placed his hand on Alex's lower back. "Everything alright?" He asked.

Alex tensed slightly at the initial touch, but relaxed as soon as he realized it was Jace. "Yeah, just trying to get everything ready. We can't waste any more time, we have to get to the bottom of this." Alex said as he scanned the room, making sure everything is being done properly. He spotted Tara who gave him a big smile, as if to say 'everything is going to be fine.'

"Hey! I said the candles need to be placed on North, East, South and West. Does that look like West to you?" They heard Tara snap at one of the people helping with the preparations. "No, mam." He spoke under his breath. "No? Then fix it." Tara continued. She threw her hands in the air as she made her way to Alex. "Incompetent fools." She said as she reached Alex and Jace.

"They're doing their best Tara. Cut them some slack." Alex said. "I suppose your right, but from what I gathered from Auria is that if this isn't done perfectly, it won't work. And we can't have that." As if on cue, Auria made her appearance. "Alex, have you decided who you're taking with?" She asked.

"Yes, you, Jace and Tara." He said. "One problem there. That's four people, we only have three trackers." Auria held up her two hands with the counts to emphasise her point. "You mean to tell me I can only take two people with me?" Alex asked and exhaled in frustration as he started rubbing his eyebrows. "Hey, relax. We'll figure it out okay? I'll stay behind. Monitor from here." Jace offered. "Absolutely not." Auria and Tara said in unison." Alex needs you by his side, Jace. You will go with him and that's not open to discussion." Tara continued

"Alright, alright. So that leaves you and Auria." Jace said. "Which one of you will be coming with?" Auria and Tara looked at each other, considering which is best suited for the job. "Auria, you go with. You've been around a bit longer than we have. You know more about magical creatures than any of us do." Tara said. "But what about you? Alex is your friend too. He needs you too." She countered.

"Tara is right. We need you with us Auria." Alex interjected. "Tara, you will take lead position over Alpha battalion. Should anything happen, you come charging in." He looked at Tara who nodded in agreement. "Then it's settled." Moments later, a loud, thunderous rumble surrounded them.

"They're here." Auria said. "Good. Lorraine has agreed to meet them. She's already waiting for them." Tara said. "Is everyone ready? It's show time!" She shouted at the people in the room. She did a quick head count. Eleven people in total, Alex and themselves excluded. "Perfect. Now we just need Lorraine and the Elders." She said.