Chapter 1

Alex approached the door to his and Jace's apartment after an emotionally exhausting day. As he was about to unlock the door, he dropped his keys. "Oh, for fuck sakes." He muttered as he crouched down to pick up his keys. As his fingers curled around the keys, he heard soft music coming from the other side of the door. A smile crept on his face at the realisation that Jace was at home waiting for him.

He unlocked the door and pushed it open. "Hey, I'm home." He announced as he entered the apartment. As he stepped inside, he was surprised to see Jace sitting on the couch with his guitar. "So that's the music I heard?" Alex asked with a smile on his face as Jace looked up at him. "Yeah, I've been practicing." Jace beamed with excitement. "Come join me." He said as he patted the spot next to him.

Alex went over and gave Jace a kiss as he sat down. "I've been practicing a song for you." Jace said as he started strumming the guitar. "Listen closely." He said with a smile.

"If you come face to face with the devil tonight, will you pick up where you left off, will you start to fight?" Jace started singing, his voice harmonising perfectly with the music from the guitar. "When you feel alone and you're as dark as night. Know it's wrong, but boy it sure feels right." Alex started smiling.

"Jace are you serenading me?" He asked with a blush. Jace just gave him a sideways smile and continued singing. "And oh, you're like whiskey to my soul, you're home when I got no place to go, ohhh." Alex's smile grew to a grin as he listened to Jace singing.

"So come on and tie me down, take me out to town." Jace sang and Alex had an idea. "I got a feeling we've been taking the long way round. Is it just fantasy, honey is it just make believe? You're awakening the monsters deep inside of me." This time when Jace sang, Alex joined in. Alex's slightly higher voice went along perfectly with Jace's slightly deeper voice.

"Burn my soul when you touch my skin." Alex sang as he gently touched his hand to Jace's cheek. "Imma cause you pain if I let you in." Jace sang in return, a slight sadness in his eyes. "Cause you taste like honey and you smell like gin. Forgive me father, for I have sinned." They both sang together again.

"So come on and tie me down, take me out to town. I got a feeling we've been taking thee long way round." Their voices mingling perfectly as they sang to each other. "Is it just fantasy, honey is it just make believe? You're awakening the monsters deep inside of me." Jace stood up as he prepared to end the song. "Yeah I've been living in the shadows, shine your light on me."

After that, Jace put down the guitar and took Alex's hands in his. "Alex, you mean the world to me. You know that right?" Jace said. "Yes, I know. And you are just as special to me." Alex said. "So I hope you don't mind if I uhm..." Jace trailed off in nervousness.

"Hope I don't mind if you what?" Alex asked with a sympathetic smile. "Uhm, well there's something I wanted to ask." Jace said and fished for something in his pocket. He pulled out a small, black velvet box and Alex's eyes went wide. Jace went down on one knee and opened the box, revealing a simple black ring resting inside. "Alexander Black, would you do me the incredible honour of marrying me?" Jace asked with possibly the biggest smile ever.

"No." Alex said blankly and the smile fell from Jace's face. He was at a loss for words and didn't notice the smile creeping onto Alex's lips. "Jace, I'm joking. Of course I'll marry you." Alex exclaimed and he started giggling. "You will?" Jace asked and his smile returned. "I will." Alex said as he stretched out his hand. Jace started laughing and slipped the ring onto Alex's finger. "I love you." Alex said as he kissed Jace. "I love you too." Jace beamed.

"Forever." Jace said as he once again took Alex's hands in his own. "Forever." Alex echoed and he laid a gentle kiss on Jace's lips. "Did you really think I meant it when I said no?" Alex asked after he broke the kiss. "Well it sounded like you meant it, but I'm so relieved that you were joking." Jace said with a nervous laugh as he joined Alex on the couch again.

"Well now your soul can rest knowing that I said yes and I meant it." Alex said jokingly. "Yes, my soul can rest for now." Jace replied sarcastically as he pulled Alex against him. "You seem stressed, my love. Does that have anything to do with the vampires?" Jace asked. Alex let out an irritated groan. "There's been three more bodies discovered last night and we're still no closer to discovering where they're hiding. And the fact that they basically look no different than humans, it's virtually impossible to identify them." He sighed and burried his face in Jace's chest

"Unfortunate, yes. But there has to be a way..." Jace trailed off thoughtfully. "Alex, I think I have a solution." He said after a few moments of thought. "And that is?" Alex muttered against Jace's chest. "Well if I'm not mistaken, even though vampires completely drain the corpses of magic, there should still be a small trace of magic lingering. You could use that to trace the vampires." Jace said and Alex pulled himself upright. "Wait, you're right." Alex said as realisation dawned upon him. "The vampire might have drained the magic from the host, but it's not the rightful owner. That means that the magic will try to reach out to its original owner, leaving us a trail to follow. Jace, you're a genius!" He exclaimed.

"You will only have about two hours to trace them, from the time of death that is. The magic will relinquish its efforts after that and the trace will disappear." Jace interjected. "Which means we have to wait for another murder." Alex sighed. "It's not ideal, but I guess it's the best idea we have at the moment." He continued. "Isn't this the only idea?" Jace teased. "Yes it is, that's why it's also the best." Alex leaned closer and placed a gentle kiss on Jace's forehead. "Now come on, we have work to do."

"We? I thought this was your case?" Jace frowned. "Yes it's my case, but I highly doubt that you'll let me face a group of vampires all by myself. Or am I wrong?" Alex mocked. "You are absolutely right. I will stand by your side each step of the way sir." Jace mocked back and they both started laughing. "But for real now, I'm not letting you face them alone." Jace said.

"Well then, let's get going then. I need to run this by Lorraine first so they can all be prepared for the next death." Alex said pulling Jace up from the couch and made his way to the door.

Author's note:
I would like to give a shout out to Phoenix8sky for being such an amazing friend... Not only is she my soundboard when I need to run my ideas by someone, she also made my cover art for me, all this whilst writing her own stories... Do yourselves a favour and go read her book Aimee...
Lots of love,
TheSpellweaver