Chapter 2

"Lorraine, I need to speak with you in private please." Alex insisted as he entered Lorraine's office, eyeing the other teachers standing about. She gave him a questioning look as if she was asking him to elaborate, but Alex said nothing further. "Very well then," Lorraine said with a sigh. "This meeting is adjourned, we'll continue later." she dismissively waved her hand.

Alex watched as the teachers filtered out of the room one by one. "I hope this is important, Alex. You know you can't just barge in here and make demands like that," Lorraine said as she crossed her arms to emphasize. "I know and I'm sorry, but this is important. It's with regards to the vampire attacks. Lorraine, Jace and I came up with an idea on how to track down the vampires."

Lorraine's eyes widened ever so slightly that Alex might have missed it had his eyes not been trained on hers. "Well knowing the two of you, this idea might just work. I'm listening." she sighed. Alex sat down across from Lorraine and straightened himself as he sat.

"Okay, so as you know the vampires drain the magic from their victims. Leaving no physical trace as to..." Alex began and Lorraine interjected immediately. "Alex, I already know this, what's the plan?" Alex smiled enthusiastically. "That's exactly the plan Lorraine. We use the vampire's deeds against itself, which is dangerous in a sense," he explained and a puzzled look crossed Lorraine's face.

"You see, the vampire drains the victim of their magic, but the magic doesn't belong to the vampire. As a result thereof, the magic reaches out to the original owner, thus leaving a temporary traceable trail. The magical essence will stop reaching out roughly two hours after the separation and in turn, the trail will vanish." Alex explained.

"The plan is as follows. We will patrol the city and as soon as another body turns up, whoever finds it will immediately notify me and Jace. We will then teleport to them instantly and I will track down the Vampire's lair by going into the astral plane. This will allow me to see the trail left by the magic, but it will also allow me more time to find the lair as time flows differently in the astral plane." Lorraine gave him a curious look as he continued.

" When I have located the lair, I will return to my body and Jace and I will go to the lair and end them," he concluded. "Alex, this is a great plan and it could work, but it's too dangerous. I can't expect that of you or Jace." Lorraine said plainly. "That's just the thing, Lorraine, we are choosing to do this. So you won't be asking anything of us." Alex argued. Lorraine sighed defeatedly. "Alright, I'll allow it, but you won't go in alone. I would appreciate it if you take some back-up," she said concernedly. 

"Jace is my back-up, I can't risk anyone else getting hurt," Alex said with a slight sadness in his voice. "Alex who knows how many vampires will be in that lair? I can not let the two of you go in alone," Lorraine ordered. "Then I'll take Tara with me. And I'll contact Auria as well. But I will not take anyone else with, I refuse to risk anyone else's lives. The four of us are more than capable of handling this situation," Alex said finally.

"Alex, you can't expect me to..." Lorraine started when Alex interjected. "Lorraine, Tara is one of your most skilled fighters, if not the best. Auria knows Gaelic magic that has been passed down through generations long before most of the world knew about magic. And Jace and I have been practicing together for three years now, we know each other's fighting style. You won't be able to assemble a better team than us. Adding someone to the group will just throw us off," Alex explained confidently.

Lorraine thought it over for a few moments before sighing defeatedly. "Alright, you win. But Auria and Tara need to be briefed on the current situation and whatever plan you and Jace have come up with before you jump into action," Lorraine stated with finality. "I will have to go find Auria. Notify us the moment there's another attack. We will be gathering in the library," Alex said as he got up to leave.