Chapter 5

"Are you okay?" Jace asked when he saw the distressed look on Alex's face. "Yes. I'm fine." Alex replied as Jace held out his hand to help him up. "Thank you, my love." Alex said as he was pulled up. "We found the lair." Alex said with excitement. "That's wonderful news! We have to go there immediately." Jace said and everyone readied themselves to leave at a moments notice. "Before we go, I need to go to Lorraine. I need her to be able to track us and find us if the need arises." Alex said as he started opening a portal.

When it opened, he looked at the other three. "Coming?" He asked with a smile as he stepped through. The others followed soon after and stepped through the portal and into Lorraine's office.

"Alex! You're alright! Thank the gods!" Lorraine exclaimed. "Calm down Lorraine, it wasn't even that big of a deal." Alex said, trying to make it sound like a walk in the park. "We finally have the edge we need over this vampire threat. I found the lair." Alex exclaimed, conveniently leaving out the Caligo detail. "That's wonderful. I assume there's a reason you came to me before going there?" Lorraine inquired. "As a matter of fact, I came here to ask if you would track us and send reinforcements should the need arise." Alex explained. "Why not just take reinforcements from the start?" Lorraine suggested. "Because we're not even sure that this is the only lair around. There could be a hive-mind behind all of this. If that's the case, going in with our full force is going to alert any and all surrounding lairs, as well as the hive-mind." Alex explained.

"Do you have a strategy in place?" Lorraine asked. "I do, and for it to work, I need as little people as possible." Alex said. "That's understandable and acceptable. At least you're here to arrange for back up should it be necessary." Lorraine replied. "So how will you track us?" Alex asked. "I could ask my people to help." Auria offered. "We have a way of tracking that creates a telepathic link between the two people enabling them to communicate with each other as well as know the other person's location." She explained.

"Would it not be easier to teach us how to do the spell?" Lorraine asked. "I'm talking about ancient Gaelic spells that have been passed down by my people for generations. It is forbidden for us to teach them to outsiders." Auria said sounding offended. "My apologies, I did not realise." Lorraine apologised. "How long would we have to wait for them to come?" She asked. "As long as it takes for me to convince them to help." Auria replied. "Alex, I will need your help with convincing them." She said as she turned to face him.

"Why me?" He asked. "Just trust me on this. I need your help." She said. "We don't have much time, the blood that was spilled before now is on the vampires hands, from here on out every drop of blood spilled by them is on our hands. We have to go now." Auria said in an urgent tone. He wanted to argue, but Lorraine stopped him. "Auria is right, too much innocent blood has been spilled. We can not sit idly by while more is spilled. If she needs your help, go with her." She said and waved them off. "In the meanwhile, the rest of us will patrol all over the city to keep it safe. I will also contact the guilds for additional help." Alex made to follow Auria through the door when Jace grabbed his wrist and pulled him close

"Be safe. And please come back to me." He pleaded. "Jace, I'll be fine. It's not like we're going somewhere dangerous, and if something happens I've got Auria with me." Alex said trying to reassure him. "I know. I know. I just won't be able to forgive myself if something happened to you and I wasn't there to protect you. The thought of losing you..." He trailed off. "Jace, I'll be fine." Alex smiled and caressed Jace's cheek. "I love you." He said. "I love you too." Jace said and gave him a gentle kiss. "Alex, we have to go." Auria's said as her head popped through the door frame. He gave Jace a last smile and squeezed his hand as he spoke. "It'll be alright." He said before turning around to leave.