Chapter 10

"They couldn't see us, but they could still hear us you idiot." Auria glared at Jace. "It was a simple glamour spell, easy but effective." She huffed as she continued up the stairs, not waiting to see if the other two followed. Alex and Jace looked at each other in disbelief. "Is it just me or is she more on edge than she normally is?" Alex asked.

"Don't ask me." Jace said as he shrugged and followed behind her. Alex shook his head and fell in behind Jace. The climed a few more flights of stairs and were on the final one when they heard a commotion.

"What do you mean you think there's someone in the building?!" They heard a muffled voice yell and Auria shot Jace a look, her eyes filled with anger. They heard glass shatter. "Well find whoever it is!" The man's voice came again.

Auria hushed the other two as she motioned for them to follow her to the only door on the top floor. They stood on either sides of the door, trying to hear what's happening within. "He's alone." Alex mouthed to Auria after doing a scan of the room and picking up only one energy signature. "Ready?" Auria mouthed back. "Three, two, one..." Just as she was about to charge into the room, it swung open and a man walked out.

"And who, pray tell, might you be?" He asked as he turned to face him. His eyes went from Auria with a bewildered look on her face, to Jace trying to protectively get himself in front of Alex. His eyes lingered on Alex. "You..." He started. "Oh I've heard so much about you." He said as a bought of laughter rose from his chest.

"To what do I owe the intrusion, oh great and powerful, Alexander Black?" He mocked and gave a bow woth a sarcastic grin on his face. Before he spoke up, Alex sent a mental distress signal to the elder connected with him. "Are you the leader of this establishment?" Alex asked. "Leader is one word you could use for it." The man said. "Although I much prefer the term 'overlord'." The smile on his face was replaced with a sinister look. Alex and Jace exchanged a glance.

"You have yet to answer my question, Alexander. Why are you here?" The man repeated. "We're here to take you in or take you down." Alex said with confidence, stepping out from behind Jace and taking two steps toward the man before broadening his stance, readying for a showdown. "Oh, my dear boy. You really think the three of you alone can take town my entire clan?" He laughed hysterically.

"You see, that's just the thing." Alex said as he raised his right hand. "We don't have to take down your entire clan." He brought his middle finger and thumb. "You see my friends and I sabotaged your elevator and placed several magical explosive materials as we made our way up the stairs. So all we really have to do..." He sanpped his fingers and explosions started erupting all the way up the stairs, causing them to topple and fall down, leaving them cut off from the other floors. "Is take down you." Alex finished his sentence as the elevators cables snapped and fell to the ground floor.

"You're clever kid, I'll give you that." The man said. "But you have no idea who you're dealing with." He threatened as he readied himself for battle. "You'll do well not to underestimate us." Alex snarled as Jace and Auria stepped into place on either side of him. Alex blasted a spell at the man, but he dodged it at the last moment. 'Okay, he's fast. I can work with that. Just have to slow him down a bit.' He thought to himself.

Alex started charging his next spell when the man lunged at him. He didn't falter and looked him dead in the eyes before Jace jumped in front of him, drew his sword and swung it straight at the assailant. Auria started chanting spells of her own. Jace's actions bought Alex the last few seconds he needed and he grabbed Auria's hand as he released the spell. Everything around them seemed to almost come to a complete halt.

"Auria I need your help. I can't keep this up for long." He said, his voice already strained. Auria nodded. "What do you need me to do?" She asked. "We're going to trap him." He explained as he took out a small mirror-like shard from his pocket. "In this." Auria took the crystal from him and got to work. "I need you to hurry. I can't keep the time spell up for much longer." He said with urgency in his voice.

Auria started chanting a spell, her brow line furrowed in concentration. "Now!" She called to Alex and continued chanting. Alex dropped the time spell and all was back to normal. Jace's blaced was heading traight for the man's head. Before Jace could make contact, a light emitted from the shard Auria held and the man's body dematerialised. He was trapped in the shard.

"Alex..." Jace's voice came. He held a hand to his side as his skin started to pale. Alex looked at him with distraught, he saw Jace's knees starting to give way and in a heartbeat Alex was next to him, cathing him right as he went down. Alex laid him down and examined his side. There was a deep puncture wound in his lower abdomen and he was rapidly losing blood.

"No, no, no, no..." Alex muttered as he pressed his hands to the wound in Jace's abdomen. "Jace!" He sobbed. "Don't you dare die on me. You're not getting rid of me that easily." Alex said through tears. "I... l-love... you-u..." came Jace's response. "No, no, no, Jace, look at me!" He became franctic. He kept one hand on the wound, he used the other to shake Jace's head to try keep him focused as he closed his eyes. "Look at me!" He yelled once more. "You can't leave me alone, Jace. Not when I need you most." He sobbed into Jace's chest.