Ch. 7 - You & I

*Michael's P.O.V*

"We're just friends, Mikey" Luke had said before turning the lights out. "Friends" I repeated with a nod as I felt the bed move as Luke climbed into bed.

Bullshit, my head screamed as the two of us snuggled up together underneath the warm blankets on Luke's bed, absolute fucking bullshit.

No, we didn't just have sex, if that's what you were thinking. We were talking, about the fact that we are just friends, I don't really know how it came up, but I kind of wish it hadn't.

When we left Ashton's house, Luke's parents had suggested I stay over the night, since it was midnight by the time we left. I almost declined their offer, since we have school tomorrow, but Luke somehow managed to arrange for us to have a day off- might I add, Luke's parents are awesome!

Anyway, for whatever reason it was, I guess Luke just had to reinforce the fact that we are, in fact, just friends. I also recall hearing something about me not being his 'type' but I'm trying to forget that because ouch.

What gets me though is that Luke doesn't treat me like 'just a friend', he treats me like a boyfriend, a lover, a soul mate, or whatever you want to call it, either way, I would hardly call this 'just friends'.

I feel my lip start to tremble as involuntary tears start to slip from my eyes, dripping from my cheek onto Luke's bare chest, and I'm suddenly thankful that he's already fast asleep.

Biting my lip to keep it still, I fight back anymore tears before I really start bawling my eyes out and wake Luke up.

Eventually, fatigue catches up to me and I find myself drifting off to sleep with only Luke on my mind.

"Com'on, mate!" Felix- some guy in my grade 8 PE class- shouts to me from across the basketball court, "Just dribble the ball over here and shoot!"

'Easier said than done', I think to myself as I glance up at the burning sun above me.

"Don't be a sook, Clifford!" Felix shouts, flipping his floppy, blonde hair out of his face, "It's not hard, ya know?".

Actually, it is that hard, moron! I'm more uncoordinated than a two-year-old.

"Just do it!" Felix yells impatiently, "It's not like anybody is here to see it if you mess up!".

I try to flick my fringe out of my face, but my hair is sticking to my face with sweat and won't budge.

"Gosh, you're useless" Felix spits as he starts walking towards me at a fast pace, stopping about twelve feet in front of me, "Throw it to me".

I hesitate before throwing the ball to him. Of course, the ball only gets halfway before hitting the ground and bouncing off to the right.

"How do you manage to fail so badly?" Felix spits, watching the ball roll across the basketball court.

I stare down at my feet shamefully, wishing I could just disappear forever. Suddenly I get the weird feeling that somebody is watching me, and look up to see that I'm surrounded by other students.

As my eyes dart from student to student, I recognise each of them as people I went to school with over the years.

Laughter erupts from the crowd around me, and insults are thrown at me from every direction.

"Hey, let's play dodge ball!" Felix shouts over all the laughter, "The freak is the target!".

The crowd cheers and a ball hits me from behind, followed by another one, and another one, and another one.