The Wolf

"He's awake.. I think." 

      "Shh- Let him sleep. He'll need it." 

      "Like it'll help." Voices called above Elijah's head, then he heard them make their way towards the door and exit the room. Elijah's head throbbed and his throat felt dry and scratchy. He sat up, then immediately laid back down when he realized how woozy he felt. He wasn't sure how long he'd been out, but the vision of blue eyes was burned into his brain, as well as the realization that if his mate lived in Aldersdale he had to be human. A human mate for an Alpha was unheard of and would look incredibly weak. 

     When his eyes opened Elijah could see that he had been transferred from the temple to his own bedroom and he groaned a final time before swinging his legs over the side of the bed and standing. His balance seemed to have been tampered with so he stumbled slightly, but still was able to make his way over to the door. 

       "You're awake!" His mother cheered. She had clearly been waiting impatiently in the hallway next to Sampson as he slept and he was not surprised by her lack of privacy. "So you had the vision?" 

       "I... I did." 

      "Why don't you seem excited? This is what's best for our pack. We're going to reclaim our place in the system and stop being pushed around by the-"

      "My mate is a human," Elijah interrupted. 

     "A human?" His mothers eyes bulged. "You can't be sure.. how did you.. but?"

     "He's in Aldersdale."

      "He?" His mother's alarm grew further. 

      "I told you I should just rule without a mate. A human will only serve to slow me down." Elijah argued, but already those words hurt to say. Even if he was disenchanted with the whole idea, a mate was a mate, and his wolf was already attached. "I'll just abandon them, and then-"

      "You will do nothing of the sort," His mother argued. "A human mate.. complicates things.. but we can disguise his scent and keep the whole thing a secret."

      "Mother, I'm not going to go along with this. You're no longer be eligible to be regent on my birthday since a valid heir is present, so it's really up to me."

       "Oh it is not," His mother spat. "According to pack rules you're ineligible if you don't have a mate." 

     "That's invalid. There isn't another choice." Elijah argued. "That trumps the rule."

     "If you can't complete the mating ceremony by your birthday, then Sampson, the other heir, will be crowned Alpha in your place."

      "What?" Elijah cried, hair standing on end, almost ready to attack. "I'm the Alpha wolf, he's an omega." Elijah spit venom, and Sampson flinched in response. "A pack can't have an Alpha living in it and be lead by an Omega, it's against the natural order."

     "It is, and once your full Alpha instincts kick in, you'll be unable to fight off the urge to take over, so you'll have to go into exile." His mother stated as if her words didn't hold the weight he knew them to.

     "Exile?" Elijah stammered. "Mother, you can't be serious."

      "I'm serious. Go Elijah, this is you last chance." His mother's face and resolve were firm, "I'll alert our Beta wolf that you are leaving. He will accompany to the village. He's been there several times, and knows the way of their people. Anna too, will accompany you, as she has a softer way about her than you, and we can't have you scaring off your mate." With that, Delilah left. 

     Elijah took a moment to gather himself, then exited the hallway, without greeting Simon, a slight, as he had intended it. In the foyer wolves scattered when he entered, and he knew they had been listening to the entire conversation, all of them except the Omega's who would need to hear the gossip later.

     "Elijah?" A voice called from behind him, "Come with me." Anna the delta wolf of the pack, and childhood friend, beckoned him. She ushered him into an empty room, which turned out to be a pack sitting room, empty as the curious wolves tried to hear the tale of their fallen alpha.

     "Tough break." Anna said slumping onto the couch, not bothering to pretend she hadn't heard.  

     "Yeah." Elijah agreed. Anna and he had always been close, and he knew that his mother had wanted them to be mates, but they were just friends, and that was alright by Elijah's standards. Good, because though he would never say it he was grateful to have a friend like her. "I don't know what to do."

      "Find your mate." Anna shrugged. "Sampson is a snake for planning this, by the way."

      "I know, believe me, but that's easier said than done."

      "Your have to listen to your wolf... they can be a little mate crazy, so the only way you won't find him is if you don't want to." Anna accused.

      "What're you implying?"

      "You're stubborn as an oaf." Anna stated plainly.

     "You're staring to sound like my mother." Elijah spat.

      "All I'm saying is that rather than letting this get you down, you should let it light a fire under you, and prove them wrong." Anna explained.

     "Prove them wrong about what?"

     "Prove to them that you've got what it takes to be an Alpha." Anna stated.

      "Are you saying that you think I don't have what it takes to be an Alpha?" Elijah asked, allowing his temper to get the better of him.

      "No." Anna sighed. "I'm saying take the opportunity. Go and prove yourself... don't fight this just because you like to fight everything. I'm not the enemy."

    "I know." Elijah sighed. "I'm sorry. This whole thing is just really fucked up."

    "Yeah..."

      "I packed your things, Alpha. Are you ready?" Simon entered the room, carrying two bags.

      "As ready as I'll ever be. I'll lead in my wolf form, you can..."

     "Oh no. We're taking the horses."

    "Horses? That'll take forever?" Elijah complained. 

    "It's not my idea of convenience either, but the last thing we need to deal with is human discovery and peeping toms." Daniel shook his head. "It's better this way, I promise."

    "Fine."